Chapter 3: Trip Wire

The shrill ringing of the bell is what jolts me up from my desk. I glance around to find all the students packing their bags. With a yawn and a stretch I do the same. The hallway is jammed with kids who are leaving for the day. I head to my locker to pack up my books, wanting to get home without any run-ins.

As I scurry down the hallway, I am pulled to a stop as someone grabs my forearm. I freeze in my tracks and turn my head. Standing in front of me are Jack and Julian, both with a smirk plastered on their face.

I grimace “Oh great, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. What do you want?” I snap, not wanting to deal with them now. I can already sense the crowd forming; wanting to see what went down between West Hill’s biggest Rivals.

Julian snickers and wraps an arm around my shoulders, pulling me close to his body. Well there was a reason he was on the football team…

“I can’t say hi to my best friend?” he teases. I roll my eyes and shove myself away from him. His gray eyes flicker with amusement as he flips his light brown hair out of his eyes.

“No, because I don’t want to be friends with an imbecile like you who doesn’t even know the meaning of personal space” I retort sharply.

I can hear a few chuckles and a chorus of oohs through the crowd. Seriously? Why couldn’t they mind their own business?

Julian’s smile drops immediately and he glares at me “Listen Rivers, back off. I know what you did to Vanessa and I’m not going to sit around and watch you harass my best friend’s girlfriend” he hisses.

I snort in derision “Seriously, Julian? It was a prank, it’s what I do. She ditched Sandy and Kai at lunch and I won’t pass up on a few extra points. Not like I need them anyways, I’m still whooping your sorry ass.” I brag. I flip my brunette hair over my shoulder and study the damage. I know that that last sentence had to bruise Julian’s enormous ego.

Julian looks beyond pissed at the mention of me beating him. He lets out a deep breath and calms down “As if you can keep the record for long, Autumn. I’m just warming up and soon you’ll be back at the bottom where you belong.” He says, triumphant smirk lighting up his face.

I cross my arms over my chest “We’ll see about that, Doffrey. Popularity won’t win you anything in this competition. It’s about brains, and that’s something I have and you’re still trying to find.” I retort. With those stinging words I turn around on my heel and walk away. The crowd disperses so I have an aisle to make my getaway. I catch Sandy and Kai gawking at me from the crowd and I send them a smug smirk, winking at Sandy as I make my getaway.

I wasn’t usually that harsh but Julius was one person I really disliked. He could fool everyone with those looks but I learned to see past that.

Suddenly I froze and turned around. Julian was smirking at something and Jack was trying to hold back his laughter. Julian’s face turned serious when he saw me staring and I sent him a victorious smile.

“And if you want to prank me, I’d go for something more original than a trip wire. Seriously? Oldest trick in the damn book” I shout at him and whip my head around before I can see his angered expression as I step over the thin wire hanging a few inches above the ground. I roll my eyes. Amateur. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Julian  on the side

Woah, double update all the way across the sky! What does it mean? It means I'm bored and I decided to write ahead of schedule. Yay! I'm completely bored of my other stories (because they're long and boring and they give me writer's block) and I'm trying to squeeze out an idea I have for Waste Basket so I wanted to post. I have midterms going on so I get out of school extra early and I get practically a full day to "study". Meaning I have a full day to do nothing while preparing to fail my midterms. Yay