Brother

"Wait, Mikasa did... what?" Eren gasped, surprised at the story Armin had just told him. "You made it up, didn't you, Armin?" he was full of doubt that his adopted sister would go that far. 

Armin sighed, holding out his damaged book. "Proof enough?" he laughed softly. Mikasa was still sitting beside him, caressing her own hair.

"How the..." Eren was still struck with disbelief. "You were late, Eren." Mikasa stood up, changing the subject. "Well, if we hadn't turned the whole house upside down looking for you, I wouldn't have been late!" Eren was clearly angered.

"I left a note. On the table." Mikasa told him. "There wasn't anything but this piece of paper with scribbles!" he held out Mikasa's note to the family. Armin grabbed hold of it, and read it softly out to him.

"Dear Mr and Mrs Jager, and Eren, too.

I am Mikasa. I am going to see Eren's friend first because Eren won't wake up. I promise I won't get lost.

Mikasa."

Eren's face flushed red. "Eren, you can't read." Armin sighed. "Didn't you show it to your parents or something?" 

"I thought Mikasa was pulling a prank on me, so I got angry and ran out to see if I could find you." he admitted, face still as red as tomato.

"Eren." Mikasa walked next to him. "Sorry." 

"No, no... I'm the one who's sorry. I should have woken up earlier. I made you two wait, didn't I?" he stood up and kicked a nearby stone.

"It's okay, Armin read me a story." she beamed happily, pointing at Armin playfully. Eren laughed. "You actually read her a story?" he asked the blonde boy, who nodded slowly.

And the three friends played and talked for the rest of the day.

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"It's getting late, mom's going to kill me if I don't bring you back now." Eren said, waving goodbye to Armin, who reluctantly waved back. "You go ahead, Eren. I'll catch up, I promise." Mikasa turned at Armin.

"Thank you for reading me that story. Can we finish it next time?" she smiled, causing Armin to blush slightly. "S-sure." he stuttered, returning the grin. 

Speedily, she pecked his flushed cheek, making it flush even harder, before turning away, and running. "Goodbye Armin!" she waved,  with Armin stunned. When she was finally out of the picture, Armin touched his cheek. It felt warm.

He liked that feel.