Forty

"Always expect the unexpected."

p a r t   f o r t y

D e f y i n g   T h e   A l p h a

     I sighed nervously as I made my way down the long hallway. After Alex and I's conversation I realized I had to get the truth from Adrian. I had to learn how he feels, how he thinks, what he thinks is wrong and right. I need to get to know him. See how he feels about us, about me.

I stand outside the door, my heart beats violently. The thing that scared me the most was the unknown. I didn't know what was going to happen once I went on the opposite side of this door. I didn't know what secrets Adrian is keeping himself warm with. I didn't know what tragedy he went through. I knew none of it. I was lost, not like a little puppy or a kid who lost their parent in the store, I was lost emotionally. How could I ever truly forgive him for everything he has done? How could I love him? No matter how hard you try and run from the past it always has a way of catching up to you. The game of chase is over once it catches you, then a new game emerges.

I take a deep breath and raise my fist to knock on the door but cease immediately when I hear voices. Adrian and Luke. I almost forgot Luke went racing after his alpha. It amazes me that they haven't noticed my scent yet, the conversation must be serious.

I focus solely on the voices and block out any other sound until I can hear their voices clearly.

"Adrian, why would you frighten Angel like that? You and I both know you weren't really going to collar either of us." Luke said. What does he mean, Adrian never was going to collar us? Was he just trying to get a rise out of us?

"I wasn't going to collar either of you but it did scare you, and that's what I got. I had to put you and Angel in your places. I can't have you disobeying me like that, nor her. My wolf doesn't appreciate it." Adrian explained. I couldn't help but feel slightly relieved that he never was going to collar us. Maybe there is a hope for him.

"Well you succeeded." Luke mumbled.

"Yes, I did. Now, you should go and check on Angel." Adrian said in a much softer tone than usual.

"Why do you pretend to not care about her?" Luke asked, catching me off guard.

There is a moment of silence before Adrian answers. "She is my weakness, and weaknesses are targets, and so help me if anyone hurt her I would call war." I didn't want to feel anything at his sentence but I couldn't resist. My heart fluttered and I blushed deeply. The thing that caught my attention is what snapped me out of my moment of bliss. Who am I target to? An enemy?

"Then show her you care." Luke said, walking out of the room. I gasp and jump back, slightly frightened. Luke seems startled too and nearly screeches. "Seriously woman!"

I hear more footsteps advance and Adrian appears in the doorway with a confused look on his face. "What is going on here?"

"I was coming to talk to you when the bonehead freaked me out." I said, while glaring at Luke.

Luke scoffs and crosses his arms over his chest. "Not true, you scared me. Why are you lingering around like a thief?"

I raise an eyebrow at Luke. "A thief? Really? I was waiting for you guys to stop talking. It's rude to just walk in."

"It's also rude to eavesdrop." Luke pointed out, a smug smile etched on his face.

I glare at him and roll my eyes, I avert my attention over to Adrian who is looking at Luke and I with amusement. "I'm glad you find this funny. Now, can I speak to you?"

Adrian nods and moves out of the way a little so I can walk into the odd room. It looks to be a study. It isn't his office, but it could be. "What is this place?" I asked, after Adrian shuts the door and walks over to his white wooden desk.

"It's more of a personal office, it's kind of my get away place." Adrian admitted, with tinted cheeks. It was odd, most people's little escape place is outside, or somewhere special. Not a simply office, but then again Adrian is quite different.

"Why?" I asked, curiosity blooming.

"This used to be my mothers painting room. She would spend hours upon hours in here. She would always let me come in here and watch her paint when my father was upset." Adrian explained, a small smile on his face.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I mumbled quietly, I felt his pain.

When I lost my father-well the man I believed was my father, I was devastated. It felt like my world was falling apart, my mother was upset and so was my other siblings. Amsterdam was the only one who kept us together. He was there for us when nobody else was. He nursed our mother back to help, which is how the two of them became so clothes. My siblings and I weren't always so bitter towards one another. We were clothes as young kids, and we grew even closer after the man who was supposed to be my father died. Then, everything came crashing down when my mother was better. She started fading from us kids and was more focused on the pack. Amsterdam soon was old enough to become alpha, after that everything was dark and filled with loathe, jealousy.

"It is alright. So what did you want to talk about?" Adrian asked.

"I want to talk about us." I said.

"What about us?"

"Well I want to know your insight on what you think of us." I said shyly.

"I don't really think much of us since there really isn't an us quite yet. Trust me Angel, there will be sooner than you think." Adrian said, a sly smile making it's way onto his face.

My face scrunches up in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"I'm going to mark you."

**

Before you think 'Ah things were finally looking up' don't fret. Anyways, here is another thank you for getting DTA to 16, hopefully we can get more towards the top ten! Thank you!

{VOTE}  {COMMENT}

RQ

How old are you?

What is your biggest dream. 

Favorite TV show/movie

Favorite song

Thank you!