I look at Bella. “Thanks so much,” I tell her. “I really appreciate this.”

            “We should be thanking you,” Bella says, shutting her phone closed. “You’re the key to helping Benni get her revenge,” she giggles. Benni throws her a glaring look.

            The guys stop in the middle of the mall and Bella and I follow suit.

            “C’mon guys,” Benni grabs my arm and pulls me forward.

            “Hey, what is she talking about?” Noah asks, chuckling a little bit. He’s always one to make light of things. “Revenge on who?”

            Benni throws daggers at Bella, who mouths an apology.

            “It’s nothing. Bella’s just…making things up. This is for fun.”

            James jogs over to us and stands in front of me and Benni, jogging backwards as he talks. “I knew this was your idea.” He says accusingly.

            “Nothing gets by you, boy genius,” Benni says sarcastically.

            “Who do you want to get revenge on?” He asks, still walking backwards.

            “No one,” Benni sighs, turning into Abercrombie and Fitch.

            “Ouch,” I say jokingly, flinching at the loud music, but no one likes my joke.

            James grabs Benni’s arm. “C’mon, Ben, tell me. Who was it? A guy? I’ll-‘

            “Back off,” Benni rips her arm away. “We’re trying to find a new wardrobe for Delilah.”

            “Why? Why is Delilah doing this. Ben? You’re acting crazy.”

            “No, I’m not,” she gritted her teeth. I edge away from the feud, but Benni grabs my arms and pulls me back over. “Stay,” she demands.

            I sigh. “James, I don’t mind, really.”

            “This is just another stupid idea, Ben!” He yells. “You think this will work? You think you’re gonna make her popular?” He points to me and a hot blush sweeps across my face.

            Benni rolls her eyes. “Just leave, James. Blow off some steam.”

            “Yeah, that’s exactly what I’ll do,” he calls over his shoulder, running a hand through his hair as he leaves the store. Noah follows after him. Elk looks lost.

            He comes over to me. “Are you OK?” He murmurs.

            “Yes,” I say, brushing it off. “Fine.”

            “He didn’t mean it,” Bella says, patting my shoulder.

            They’re wrong. I know he meant exactly what he said.

            “Can we just go?” I say. “We’re not going to find anything here….”

            “Don’t lose hope,” Benni shoves a short skirt at me. “James is just a jealous moron. But we are going to make you hot!” She throws me into a dressing room and it’s all I can do not to fall onto the floor in exhaustion.

***

“Here,” Benni hands me a pile full of clothes.

I pretend to collapse. “God, Benni. You’re killing me here. I like shopping, but this is too much. How many clothes do I need?”