Inner Demons

I just want to say real quick thank you all so much for reading this book! But still, I need more reads u guys! Tell your friends, your followers, who your following! Likes and comments wouldn't hurt either! Thanks!

I lost my grip, and tumbled through the darkness and back into reality. For a while, neither of us could speak, Gammie because of her mental effort, and I because of my physical effort. Then, she looked over at me and gave me a glare that, if looks could kill, would've sent me to Hell.

             "What...the hell...were you THINKING?!" Gammie roared. "I told you I didn't want you in my head!"

             "I...had...to try," I wheezed. Which is strange, since you don't normally think a ghost can breathe, let alone wheeze. "I...I saw something. In your mind." At this Gammie hate filled glare softened to curiosity.

             "What was it?" she asked softly, dreading the answer.

             "I believe it to be a demon," I broke the news to her. She wasn't terrified, shocked, or even mildly surprised. She just seemed to have a quite resignation about her.

             "I should've known," she said. "I long suspected that my...insanity, was because of a demon."

             "You knew?" I asked her, anger beginning to build within me. "Then why didn't you tell me, Gammie?! WHY?"

             "Because I wasn't sure myself," Gammie said quietly, cringing slightly at my rage. At this my anger immediately died out. Normally Gammie was spunky, proud; she would never let someone like me yell at her. She must have been distraught at this newly confirmed knowledge.

             "My parents told that, originally, they were infertile. However, they made a pact with one of the Elder Demons to give them a child. They said that the cost was me being bound to it, for all eternity." I could only nod, encouraging her to continue. The Elder Demons were the first demons ever to come into existence. In other words, one of the angels that rebelled against God. "I should've known when I killed my parents that the Elder Demon was within me. But I couldn't ever be sure because...because..." Whatever it was, apparently Gammie didn't want to tell me. I could've always probed her mind, but now that I knew that an Elder Demon was inside her, I didn't want to risk it trying to possess me. And yet again a crazy, dangerous plan was forming in my hand. But it required help. And who better a person than the very goddess possessed?

Of course, it would take more than Gammie and I to dethrone an Elder Demon bound to her since birth. We needed someone to protect us outside, to keep Gammie safe while she and I ventured into her mind. And that person was a little someone named Mary.

I'm not entirely sure what Mary exactly is. She isn't a goddess, that's for sure, but I never figured what she could possibly be. There were only two things about her that were important to me; one is that she was a good friend of mine. Two is that she was unnaturally pure in this dark, dark world. I already knew that if anything happened, she was to take my place. Not as an advisor, but as a servant of the light in the Land of Nightmares.

Mary apparently shared this ambition as well, and before my attempt to banish the Elder Demon she had asked to borrow one of my spell books. I happily agreed and lend her a classic novel of incantations that Semalia told me about, Nullam Lux. Her studies would be put to the test that day. She was already at the vampire castle when I brought Gammie with me and explained everything that was supposed to happen; I was about to enter Gammie's mind again. However, Gammie would be along for the ride, and we would banish the demon together. Mary would cast a protection spell around us to keep outside influences to mess with Gammie's body while her mind was with me.

              "You can count on me, Orroz," Mary said. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you two." Mary was everything Gammie was not: short blonde hair to Gammie's long, blood red hair; sparkling blue eyes to crimson ones; a strong presence of light to Gammie's unnatural darkness.

              "Orroz...this thing has been with me since birth. Despite what I tell you, that's been a long, long time. I-I might die," Gammie said. I put my hands on her shoulders and looked at her square in the eye.

              "I will not let anything happen to you. I give you my word," I promised her. She then did something I had never seen her done to anyone, save close friends like Mary. She hugged me.

Despite being a ghost, I can become solid if need be. So I was stunned when I actually felt her touch, the warmth of life. Hesitantly I put my arms around her and completing the embrace. We were like that for several seconds more before she parted and gave me a dark look.

              "Don't you go get use to that," she glowered. "This was a one time thing. And if you tell anyone, ANYONE, I will suck you into a bottle and keep you there." I broke out into a smile and laughed. She smiled slightly and went to sit in a throne like chair by hallway that lead to the castle library.

              "Mary, if something happens to us and you can't stop it, just shoot a light flare by Gammie's body. I will see it and pull us back to reality, okay?" I instructed her. She nodded gravely and stood by the Gammie, ready to cast the spell. Taking a deep breathe (yes, yes, I know, 'Ghost's can't breathe'.) I stepped into Gammie and her body went slack, as her mind journeyed with me deep into her psyche. Mary quickly casted a spell that surrounded Gammie in a shimmering curtain of light. Nothing can get in. And nothing could get out...