Discovery: Power of the Mind

Come on people I need some feedback! Don't be shy, come on by! All feedback is welcome, ladies and gentlemen!

His blood red eyes no longer had a pupil or anything else that would make an eye an eye. It was entirely red, and filled with fire. His features were twisted and contorted into a horrible snarl, and his fangs were elongating as I watched.

                       "You would dare challenge me to a duel?" Balthazar asked in a low, menacing growl. Technically, it was within my rights to challenge Balthazar to a duel. Not only was I high up enough but also had the sufficient skill to perhaps beat Balthazar. If I won, I would become the new leader of the Order. But if I lost, my acts would be considered treason. My punishment would either be exile or death. And Balthazar never missed out on a chance to spill blood.

My decision would impact the course of humanity, vampirekind, and this world. The enormity of a decision alone would scare anyone into submission. Add Balthazar and his terrifying reputation and it would be almost impossible. However, I dug my heels in, stood my ground, and uttered two words that would change my long life forever.

                       "I would."

Without warning Balthazar pounced, ready to tear my throat out. Such was his speed and ferocity I barely was able to step aside so as he skid across the floor and onto his luxurious bed of blood red pillows and silks. He quickly recovered and broke off one of the beams supporting the canopy of his bed, hurling it at me like a spear. I dove out of the way just the wooden beam imbedded itself into one of the stone columns. Before I could react Balthazar pounced again, this time landing on top of me. His great strength held me down and he looked at me with savage glee.

Just before he delivered the fatal blow I snarled at him, causing him to pause for a moment. That moment was all I needed. With my newfound power of flight I threw myself upward, causing Balthazar to roll off me onto the floor. Now high above him I tried to assure myself I was safe for now. How wrong I was.

With his unmatched speed Balthazar sprinted toward the wall and began to run up it until he reached the ceiling. He then kicked off from the ceiling and threw himself at me from above. I was able to dodge the blow, but Balthazar on his fall grabbed my ankle and used my ability to his advantage. He clawed his way up my body towards my throat, emitting an aura of pure terror as he did so. The terror within me kept me rooted to the spot, allowing him to continue his work. Then I suddenly gave out and we both plummeted to the ground. By shaking Balthazar's concentration I was finally free of both his grasp and his horrifying magic. But I wasn't quick enough to regain flight, and I landed on top of him. For a moment the breath was knocked out of both of us and we struggled to get air back into our lungs. Balthazar recovered quicker than I did, and he kicked me into the far wall, where I lost again the breath I just recovered. He got up and casually stepped towards me. When I regained my breath I looked up and saw he had an ornate dagger in his hand. That dagger was usually for ceremonial purposes, such as blood sacrifices. Now insane with blood lust and deep within a battle frenzy, Balthazar was about to kill me with the ceremonial dagger and cut out my heart. 

In my panic I thrust out my arms in a desperate attempt to protect myself and closed my eyes, waiting for the ending blow. But it never came. I opened my eyes and saw Balthazar on the opposite end of the room, lurching drunkenly upward. I noticed the dent in the wall behind him and the cracks that protruded from it. I looked down at my hands in awe. I discovered I had what would be later titled telekinesis: power of the mind. My gaze now hard and cold I raised my hand up in Balthazar's direction. Instantly he rose up into the air, his hands at his throat in a futile attempt to pry away the forces that held him. I rose myself up to my feet and began to walk towards him. By now his red filled eyes returned to normal, and for the first time I saw fear in them. Unfiltered, genuine fright now filled the mind and soul of Balthazar, leader of the Order and the deadliest vampire alive.

By then I was filled with rage and fear and anger. With one hand focusing on his throat I used the other to pry his mouth open. At first, Balthazar's strength wouldn't let me. But my mental strength was unflinching, and eventually he gave and his mouth was now open, as if on a hinge. I then performed the most humiliating and insulting act any vampire could do to his foe. I ripped out his fangs.

Those very fangs that shed the blood of so many, and killed hundreds of innocents were now free from their master's mouth. Balthazar could only scream in pain and humiliation. They would grow back...eventually. But forever he would be shamed and ridiculed in being a vampire for, however long a time lost his fangs. It was a deep dishonor and shame to any vampire, let alone the leader of the Order. But I was not done with him yet.

I drove each fang into Balthazar's wrist, so as they were driven into the stone walls and would hold Balthazar up. Then, I reached down and took the ceremonial dagger into my hand. He could do nothing, nor say anything. But Balthazar's eyes said it all. They were filled with fear and a desperate plea for him not to end like this. I was in no mood to fulfill requests that night.

I sank the dagger deep into his chest, through his heart. A rasp escape from his lips. He turned his eyes to me, and I looked back at them. The spark of life then fled from them, his mouth open to unleash a scream that never came. I relinquished my hold on him, and his head and body went limp, held by the dagger and his own fangs.

It was then that I sensed another presence in the room. I turned around and saw the one person I least expected to be there...