A Good Man Goes to War

I had many misadventures during my time in the Land of Nightmares. I made friends and enemies. I even found love. Or rather, it found me. I was settling in quite nicely. But then, one night, everything changed.

I had recently discovered a new land, dubbed the Promise Lands, if you can believe it. At first, I thought I a horrible cliché, but it was true. I made my way north. I wasn't leaving my new home permanently. I just wanted to see for myself these "Promise Lands". If I knew what I would get myself into, I might not have gone at all. Or maybe I would've. We will never know, now.  

I immediately saw snow covered trees, when I first arrived. A white topped forest. At first glance, it seemed ordinary enough. But then, I was knocked off my feet by a strange...force. I recognized it as the land, telling me its stories. I have felt that experience wherever I went, the air, the earth, the sky and wind eager to tell me their tales, for I was one of the few who still knew how to listen. And what I learned was troubling, to say the least.

This land was at war. Its people: the humans, elves, "barbarians", werewolves and vampires were all separated into their own mini kingdoms, and battling each other. As I listened, I then learned of the one who started it all. The mastermind behind this war, the one stirring the pot and causing strife to be sown into the land. I didn't want to believe it. Last time I met him, he was peaceful, content enough with his realm far under the earth. But the earth doesn't lie. It was Hades, Lord of the Dead, that rose up from the Underworld to lay siege on the land of the living.

I strolled deeper into the forest, and its creatures came to me, bearing the same news. Some of them didn't belong in this habitat at all; a panther and a tiger had slinked over to me as I explored. But a majority of them were suited for their home: rabbits and birds, even a large bear named Ozzy. Night fell, though I was not worried. I was more than able to take care of myself. But, I saw something very out of place. Something that I have seen before, and knew it shouldn't be there, in normal circumstances. It was a portal.

A dark, gothic structure jutted from the earth, a swirling nebula of blue, pink, and golden light within the arch. I wondered where it went off to. So I did what anyone else would do. I went through.

Imagine going through a waterfall, still feeling the sensation of the water, but not actually getting wet. That was what going through the portal felt like. For a moment, my vision was obscured by the swirling energies, dancing and twisting around me. Then, I broke through to the other side. I was hit by a warm gust of air. After being in the cold for so long, I welcomed it, closing my eyes as I enjoyed the sensation. But a moment later I opened my eyes, which widened slightly in surprise.

No snow covered the grass, which was lush and green, as though it was the peak of spring, or else the beginning of summer. Trees spiraled and grew around me, their leaves full and bright. The night air revealed several dancing motes of light, which were gently gliding through the air. A gazebo laid to the far corner, and an elk was drinking from a nearby river. I could feel the magic crackling in the air. But it was a particular magic, nature magic. It had a definite....taste, I suppose, that told me exactly where I was. I was in elfin territory.

Don't get me wrong, I love the elves. And I love nature magic. I felt more at peace, more at ease as I continued winding my way through this flora and fauna filled land. I didn't know exactly where I was going, but something was drawing me towards itself. Normally, that would've made me suspicious, but the elfin land whispered to me that everything was alright. As I said before, the earth didn't lie, so I wasn't worried. Minutes later, I came upon what I assumed was the palace and central hub for this section of elfin land.

Waterfalls acted as curtains covering the entrance to the palace, flowering vines bordering the top. As I approached, the water parted and emitted me in, revealing the building to be made of white stone. When I safely made it inside, the water closed off the entrance. Nature ran abound in this place, as I suspected. It was like being within a grotto. Twisting, glowing, pulsing roots weaved themselves into the stone. Vibrant flowers and grasses dotted the floor. Elfin and Fae magic were similar in nature, so at first it was difficult for me to distinguish is I was still in elfin territory. Then, I saw her.

Her hair was silver-blonde in color, braided but still reaching down to the middle of her back. A glowing complexion with sharp jade eyes watched me curiously as I approached. Her upper body was slim, fit, and lithe; that of a hunter. But it was her lower body that arouse my interest.

She was a centaur. Her lower half was covered in fine gray fur, spotted with blurred black, brown, and silver spots. A blonde tail flicked occasionally, either to shoo away flies or an involuntary twitch. I bowed shallowly to her in greeting, and she returned my bow. Though the lower half surprised me, her upper body revealed to me her identity. I would've recognized her anywhere.

              "Artemis," I greeted. "I'm surprised to see you here."

              "And I, you," she returned the greeting. "I haven't seen you in so long. You've...changed."

              "And so have you, my friend," I chuckled. Sometimes I forgot I still looked like a bird-human hybrid. It certainly did complicate things. "If I may, why do you appear to be a centaur?"

              "Oh, this? Well, the centaurs have made me their patron. Their goddess. I am now the goddess of centaurs, as well as the hunt and moon."

              "Really? I didn't think the centaurs were civilized enough to care for having gods and goddesses, let alone adopt one."

               "You have met Chiron, yes?" Artemis said, a little miffed.

               "Chiron is an exception. I was speaking in general." I replied.

               "Well, believe it or not, they have made me their goddess. But I am also helping out the elves here. You have heard of their war?"

               "Indeed I have. I cannot believe Hades would go through all this trouble. His kingdom is already expansive enough. He can always visit Elysium if he wanted to take a break. Why attack the land of the living?"

               "You forget that Hades did not want to be Lord of the Dead. He got the short straw. Now, it seems, he's finally had enough."

               "Indeed." A moment of silence fell between us.

               "I hope that you will aid us on our mission to stop Hades. He had already turned the barbarians to his cause, and he has his own undead forces."

               "Of course. But I hope to talk reasoning into him. Maybe...maybe I can convince him to call off the attack."

               "Many have tried. I tried. Zeus has tried, even his own wife Persephone has spoken with him. Hades is hell-bent on conquering this land." Artemis said, doubtful.

               "Well," I said as I let myself out, "he hasn't spoken to me."      

  .