Away in the Night

I agreed. I agreed to his proposition. I wanted away from my meaningless existence. I wanted away from my pain and my anger and sorrow. What else could I have done?

Immediately he grabbed me and whisked me away into the night. Everything was a black blur as Isaac sped away into the night until we were far away from the city and into the desert. I caught a glimpse of the full moon and the stars that peppered the desert night sky before he forced my neck at an angle. Moments later I felt something stab into my flesh. I could feel my blood, my life force, circulate through my body before exiting into Isaac's greedy grasp. My vision began to darken. And then...I felt nothing.

I remember waking up feeling a massive headache pounding. I put a hand to my face, viewing my surroundings groggily. I was actually in a separate room, with a tiny glass of water and pitcher next to me. Immediately I gulped down the water in the glass and poured the water in the pitched down on me, catching some in my mouth and spilling the rest onto the floor. I lurched up from the bed and wandered into the living room. There I saw a dark, handsome youth sipping what appears to be red wine from a tall glass.

                  "Orroz. Good. You're up," the man said. At his words it all came back to me. Every last detail of how Isaac took me away in the night and drank my blood!

                   "You...You demon!" I shrieked at him. "You stole me away and...drank my blood!" As I said this, I slowly inched my way to the door. However, Isaac was not fooled, but he reacted too late.

                    "Orroz, don't!" Isaac warned as I dashed out the door. When I stepped out, I could feel the sun's rays on my face. I thought I would never feel its warm glow again! But that warm glow was becoming warmer. Soon it became scalding hot. I cried out in alarm and pain as my skin began to bubble and blister like so much wax. Without intervention, I am sure I would've died. However, Isaac quickly embraced me like a spider and dragged me back inside. I wept as pain flooded my body. But my tears ceased in awe and wonder. My skin was healing! Each blister faded and my skin became whole and new again. But my wonder curdled to alarm and panic as I saw that my skin was pale like Isaac's. I rushed over to a small mirror on the wall and saw that terrible hue across my entire body. Isaac didn't merely drank my blood...he turned me into one of his kind!

                    "Orroz please, calm down now..." Isaac said as he slowly approached me. I took a hasty step back.

                    "Stay away from me, damn you!" I yelled. "You turned me into...to...into one of you!" I collapsed into a nearby chair as the weight of all that has happened finally became clear. I was no longer human. I would no longer be able to go to Heaven and be in God's grace. I was a monster...a horrible, horrible monster.

A warm, gentle hand tentatively placed itself on my shoulder. I looked up and saw Isaac trying to comfort me.

                    "I understand that you are angry and upset at your transformation," Isaac said to me. "But think of your life before it! You were an orphan child with no home, no friends, no family. You were all alone! How could I have left you that way, to die in just a few short years alone and bitter. That is no way a young man such as yourself should live out his existence, or exit from it.

                    "Come now, young Orroz. Your healing has left you drained of energy. You must replenish it." At first I thought he meant getting some food for us. As though he read my mind (which might very well have been possible), Isaac smiled and gave out a small chuckle.

                    "No, young sir, we do not eat food," Isaac said simply. I looked over to the glass full of red wine which Isaac was drinking from. And then with a sickening jolt it dawned on me. Wine was not that red. Nor was it that thick...

I gave Isaac a look of pure disgust and looked down at the floor in response to what he was suggesting.

                    "It is no different from humans eating meat and drink! Our order merely needs another substance to draw nutrients from," Isaac said. He went over to take the glass and put it near me. I could smell the rich, intoxicating sent of the blood. Maybe just one little...NO! I had to control myself. I shook my head violently and turned away, trying to ignore the scent of blood beckoning me like a siren's song.

                    "Orroz, if you do not drink you will die. You are capable of so much. Do not waste that potential," Isaac said. I gave the blood another glance. Isaac was right. Without it, I would die. And then I might very well be damned to Hell. For where in Heaven is a place for one such as me?

Tears streaked my face as I took my first drink of blood, the first of many. Isaac smiled in approval.

                    "Very good, young sir. I will let you rest and gather your strength. At nightfall, we make our leave."