Chapter 41

WATTPAD Y U NO POST THE WHOLE CHAPTER
~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Bye sis!", Marina called out as she disappeared into the hallway crowd of the high school.

Azalea returned a half-hearted wave.

"Remember that I love you!"

"I love you too, Marina."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Azalea clutched the deep red stone at the base of her throat. A bloodstone, as provided by Piflin.
"I still think the purple one looks better", Keith chimed in, pointing at the violet gown in Azalea's left hand.

"Maybe", she hummed.

Keith groaned, but said nothing. He scrounged through the box of scarves that will be used to hide the scar on her neck.

Azalea chuckled. Keith had volunteered to help her pick out an outfit. The outfits themselves were provided by one of the servants of the castle, Mariola.

Piflin and Lance explained to Keith about the barrier, but Azalea promised to keep Piflin's secret.

She sighed inwardly. She hated keeping all these secrets from Keith. Piflin. The Voices.

The other paladins didn't even know the truth behind Azalea's name "Nightmare".

So many secrets.

'Don't forget about your mission, too', Ferin chuckled.

Azalea bit her lip, trying to store herself from answering him out loud with Keith right there.

Shut up, she ordered mentally.

She was dreading the looming future. Ferin was coming to kill her and possibly the others too, unless she kills a Paladin.

'All of this will end once you do it', Ferin purred.

She tried ignoring him, instead shuffling through more dresses.

Her hands came upon a blue silk gown. It had a tight bodice and a large skirt of silk ruffles. It was beautiful.

Azalea's heart broke a little as she looked at the dress. Memories of Marina going to her first dance. Her showing Azalea her blue silk gown. The look of pure excitement on Marina's face.

Marina's voice rang through her head.

'Listen to him', she said in a whisper, 'Then you can come back to me. We can be together again, little sis.'

The young woman struggled to hold back her tears to no avail. Her knees buckled and she fell to the floor.
"You're dead-", she choked out. She clawed at her hair, trying to block the voices out.

A pair of warm arms wrapped around her.
"Shhhh", Keith hushed, "It's okay."

Azalea weakly lifted up the dress, tears still flowing down her face.
"It looks just like Marina's"

Keith took the dress from her and tucked it back into the closet.
"Maybe you shouldn't wear that one then", he said gently.

Azalea nodded, wiping away her tears.

She felt weak. Overcome. Defeated by her own brother only Zarkon knows where.

She hated it.

It's just a voice, she reminded herself, He's just making you hear things.