Chapter 37

No way.

That can't be Ferin.

No way.

"Oh, but I am", Ferin chuckled, reading her thoughts, "It is I, the Fury of Haxus, inside the Nightmare of Sendak."

Azalea was bewildered, and suddenly ridden with fear, remembering stories about him that the other prisoners told.

"He's ruthless"

"Murderous"

"Complete Psychopath"

"He takes his anger out on the young Princess"

"How did you get in my head?", Azalea asked, "Only Starlin can do that!"

"Ah, the Starlight of Zarkon. I wouldn't be here without her help."

She was taken aback, "Starlin helped you do this to me?!"

Ferin sighed and snapped his fingers, making the Nightmare shimmer away into a different person.
"It's too bad, really. I like that version of you better."

Now in the Nightmare's place was a tan teenager in a long sleeved black dress. Jet black hair was in a braid over her shoulder. Fires of blue, red, and purple flickered up from her feet. Dark violet-black eyes stared unemotionally down at the ground.

Azalea reached out for her little sister.
"Star.... Why?"

Starlin DiNicolo didn't respond, just solemnly closed her eyes.

Azalea felt betrayed. After all the support she tried to give Starlin before, her sister decided to side with the one person who made her life a living hell.

"We're here on a mission", Ferin answered for Starlin, "To get you back. But unfortunately, Zarkon doesn't want you back until you kill a paladin. You have gained enough of their trust to do exactly that without them ever expecting it. "

"I'm never doing that!", she hissed defiantly.

Ferin walked closer until he towered over Azalea.

He leaned down and cracked a bloodthirsty smile.
"Well too bad, because you only have three days."

"Three days before what?"

With a gasp, she suddenly found herself in the middle of space.
All around her were Galra battleships of all sizes.

This is an armada, she realized.

"Three days before I come to kill you myself", Ferin growled, "I have been given permission to kill the weakling traitor known as Azalea Violet Korraine. I've finally been given permission and a reason to do something I've been wanting to do for years. Get rid of you. I am sick and tired of being known as the weakest experiment, only to a little girl that doesn't even know how to use her gifts to the fullest! So I will do as I am told, and as I please."

Azalea was suddenly struck with a horrifying reality.

I am now on the hit list of one of the strongest people in the universe.

My own hybrid brother.

Ferin the Fury.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keith leaned against the wall.

He had brought Azalea back to Allura's castle, and brought her back to bed.
Now he was just standing guard outside of the door.

She's been asleep for hours.

Is everything alright with her? She only does that when she's stressed.

Lance was on his back, pedaling his feet in the air out of boredom.
Piflin was asleep against the wall.
Keith couldn't understand why the little boy hung around Lance so much. Keith couldn't stand to be around Lance for more than an hour at a time; Piflin never left Lance's side.

He was almost like a tiny Azalea, just without the gravity-defying powers.
Or the title of "hybrid experiment".

A rustling noise caught Keith's attention, and he walked into her bedroom to check on her.

Azalea rolled over on the ceiling, groaning.
Keith became suddenly concerned when he saw the tears falling down her cheeks.

Oh no.

Keith reached up and grabbed her jacket sleeve, pulling her down through the air.
Azalea sniffled in her sleep.

Keith wrapped her blanket around her, and pulled Azalea's body close to his. He sat down on the bed and leaned against the wall, with Azalea tucked safely under his arms.

"Okay, I'm hugging you", he whispered into her hair, "Calm down..."

Azalea, who was trembling, finally sighed, curling into his side.
Keith could hear her snoring softly.

He chuckled at the pure irony of Nightmare having a nightmare, and then he stopped.

Looking down at her sleeping face, so close that he could see the pale freckles dotted across her nose, Keith's heart skipped a beat.

Out of all the girls in the universe...

Why did I have to fall for Azalea Korraine?...