Chapter 34

Okay, hate was a strong word, and Lance knew that.

But he hated Brenan.

Ever since he and Azalea were reunited three days ago, he hadn't let her out of his sight. Not even once.

He gave Lance a disapproving look every time he tried talking to her.

He glared at Keith and dragged her away when he tried talking to her.

Brenan didn't allow Lance to call her by any of her nicknames.

"Hey flower!", He tried saying to her once.

"She is not your flower, Mr Lance. She is mine and you must respect that."

"Hey Zales!", he also tried.

"Please do not refer to my flower by that disgraceful shortening of her name."

Lance couldn't even practice the pickup line he was going to use for a Jaspanian girl on Azalea!

But now the tables have turned on that pompous ass.

Feornae ordered him away on a short mission, so Brenan was gone for the day.

But, sadly Lance wasn't with Azalea. He had chosen to give Azalea's free time to the one person who missed her the most.

And now as he sat down in the deep blue grass of the castle pasture, Lance watched the two of them from a distance.

Azalea was sitting cross-legged above the ground, and Keith was leaning into her lap, half asleep as she weaved flowers into his hair.

Lance smiled. Azalea was perfect for Keith, he would admit.

Lance wished he could go over there and chat too, but instead he hung out with his new friend, who was weaving flowers into his hair.

"Lance, which flower should I use?", Piflin asked, holding out two flowers of different shades of blue, like most of the planet.

"How about that one?", Lance said, pointing to the one with a lighter shade. Piflin smiled and went back to work.

Lance liked Piflin. He was cool for a six year-old, like a tiny wingman.

There was also something different about him.

Piflin didn't carry around an aura of calm charisma like the other Jaspanians. He was spunkier, and liked to laugh.

"Hey Pif, how about we head on over to that market everyone brags about?", Lance asked.

Supposedly the grand market of Jaspen was in the heart of the forest, and was the center of life. It sounded cool, so Lance wanted to check it out.

But the little boy shook his head, his bright blue eyes filled with concern.

"I cannot Lance. I apologize."

Lance groaned. He said this all the time, never with a good excuse as to why.

"Why noooot?",

Lance didn't hear a response, so he looked behind him.
Lance's flower crown was done....

And Piflin was gone.

"Pif?", Lance called out.

No response.