"Don't worry," I shrugged, "At least, you're speaking now."

Ezra leant against the brick wall and nodded, "I guess... You're from England, right?"

"I am," I grinned, "London actually. You're plain Australian?"

"I was born in Crestview, grew up in Crestview, too, but my mum's from Spain. Dad's Australian."

"So you're Spanish?" I asked, entranced, "That's so cool."

He smiled briefly at me, "You think?"

"Can you speak Spanish?" I asked.

He dropped his head and muttered something I couldn't hear. 

"Excuse me?"

He repeated a little louder, "It's the only subject I'm failing."

"Well, that's ironic," I smirked the tiniest bit.

Ezra rolled his eyes infinitesimally.

"So are you coming to Rosie's?"

"What?" his eyes met mine and I gulped at the intensity of them. They were a cute chocolate brown but they looked at me as if they could see straight through me. 

I repeated, "A-are you coming to Rosie's? Kristy said everyone goes there."

"You're hanging with Kristy and Mark?" he asked quietly.

I nodded slowly, "Yeah. Kristy's a little annoying, though... and Mark's kind of scary."

Ezra smirked and I saw his eyes light up, "No. I'm not coming to Rosie's. Jeremy hates it there."

"Why?"

"Because only the, again I quote, 'popular' kids go there. You being invited means you're in."

"Like a cult," I remarked.

"You could say that again," Ezra rolled his eyes, "I, uh... yeah."

There was that slight stumble in his sentences again. At least we had a conversation.

The teacher came and unlocked the door, "Welcome class."

Ezra barely nodded his head at me before walking into the classroom. 

So shy little Ezra wasn't too shy then.

***

Kristy whined, "Do we have to wait for your sister? Can't she walk home herself?"

I sighed at her impatience, "Yeah; I just have to tell her that I won't be walking home with her."

"You're not?" Liv's voice asked. She walked into my line of vision with a small smile, "That's okay. I think I know the way back myself."

"You sure?" I double-checked.

She nodded, "And if I get lost... it's a small town. It won't take too long to find me."

I let out a small laugh at her optimism. I said, "Okay. I'll be home later, then."

Liv walked off, leaving me and Kristy. 

Kristy pouted, "Can we go now?"

I nodded, "Yes, we can."

Kristy sighed, "Good because I was starting to get annoyed."

Yeah, get a taste of your own medicine.

"Sorry," was what I said aloud though.

I spotted Jeremy and Ezra talking beneath a tree near the front of the school and frowned. They both had serious expressions and were talking fast-paced from what I could tell.