"That's what I thought," she smirked and then turned to me, "Mark's the captain and has been since last year. He's the best player in Crestview."

"Well done," I said to him.

Mark barely acknowledged me as Kristy continues, "And then, out of the blue, last holidays, we saw Ezra kick a rugby ball through the posts from halfway. He's not even fit, for gods' sakes."

He can kick a rugby ball from halfway? I don't play sports, yet even I know that's impressive. 

Mark leant against the tree and scowled, "He's good. But last season he sucked. Out of nowhere he's just gotten better. Did you hear what happened last week Kristy?"

She rolled her eyes, "'Did I hear what happened last week?' Are you kidding me? I know everything that happens in this shitty town," Kristy turned her gaze on me, "That guy stood up to Mark. Mark said for him to get out of his way and the boy turned around and snapped, 'I don't know what your problem is, Thompson, but I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd leave me alone'."

Ezra said that? But he seems so quiet. Jeremy even said that he goes mute around other people. 

"He was probably just in a bad mood," Mark murmured, "But I'd never seen him act like that."

"You coming to Rosie's after school?"

I blinked at the sudden change of subject, "What?"

"Rosie's," Kristy repeated, "You're telling me you've been here for two days and you haven't been to Rosie's?"

"I've haven't gone anywhere, really, except the grocery store," I blushed.

"Rosie's is this really cute sweet shop around the corner," Kristy explained, "Everyone goes there."

"Mark!" another voice called and I watched as Kristy's boyfriend perked up instantly. 

He mock-saluted us before running off to meet with another guy.

"That's Eric Quan," Kristy gestured to the boy, "Mark's best friend."

"He doesn't hang out with you?" I raised an eyebrow.

"God, no," Kristy wrinkled her nose, "I'd hate to be the only girl in a group of three. Eric's the only other person in the school that likes Mark at all. Everyone else thinks he's too... violent."

"Is he violent?"

"Of course," she shrugged, "He gets into fights all the time."

"Right," I nodded slowly, "And your friends?"

"Opal's in Hawaii," Kristy sighed, "And Rach is sick."

I nodded slowly.

Kristy asked, "So, are you coming to Rosie's or not?"

"Why not?" I shrugged, "I've got nothing else to do."

"Cool. We'll sort the details out at lunch, kohai."

The bell rang as she finished her sentence and she sashayed off. I furrowed my eyebrows. She knows Japanese? 

I took my timetable out of my bag and examined it. Next was Advanced English. How the hell did I get into Advanced English? I can barely write legitimate sentences. 

I put the timetable back and made my way to the same building again but stood outside E1. 

"Violet, right?" a soft voice asked me. 

I spun on my heels and faced Ezra. 

I grinned, "Yeah. I'm glad you remembered, Ezra."

He blushed slightly, "Sorry for being, and I quote, a 'mute' before."