I exhale forcefully with frustration and check my watch.

4:00.
Luke should be here any second.
Making sure Dad doesn't see us together, I head out onto the front porch and shut the door behind me, sitting on the front step as I wait.

After a couple minutes, a beat up old mustang pulls into my driveway and Luke steps out. His eyes are red, like he has been crying. My heart aches.

He approaches gently, sits down beside me, and, without saying a word, puts his hand on my thigh, tracing little circles with his thumb on my skin.

"I'm so sorry Ella. I don't know what happened. I realised who your dad was and instead of talking to you, I took my frustration out by self-sabotage. She was so pushy, and I wasn't myself, and I just -"
He rubs his eyes with his fingers.

"I really do have genuine feelings for you, and I promise I won't let you down again, if you give me another chance." He stares at the ground and kicks it slightly with his foot as he speaks.

I rest my head on his shoulder.
Tell him, Ella.
Tell him what happened with Mr Irwin, be a good person.
Do the right thing.

"Let's just move on." I say.

"Really?" There's a tone of sincerity and vulnerability in his voice I haven't heard before.

"Yeah." I force a smile and look into his blue eyes.
For gods sake, how come eye contact with Luke doesn't give me butterflies like eye contact with Mr Irwin?

"Be my girlfriend, Ella."
His abrupt proposition causes me to pull away slightly in surprise.
"I know it's sudden, and probably way too fast, I mean, we've only known eachother a week. You make me so happy, I've never liked anyone the way I like you. I want to be able to call you mine."

Jesus Christ.
There's no denying it, I do like him and part of me wants to say yes.
However, there's another, extremely loud part of me that's internally screaming 'don't be such a naive idiot'.

"El, say something, please." He takes both of my hands in his.

I blink my eyes, trying to quickly think of something to reply.
Not knowing what else to do, I kiss him.
Mainly to avoid the question.

He doesn't seem to mind, however. I feel his lips smile against mine.
Damnit, still no butterflies.

After a few seconds, I pull away to reveal Luke beaming from ear to ear, looking like he's just won the lottery.
"Is that a yes?" He fiddles his lip ring with his tongue.

I nod, unconvincingly.
Without hesitation, however, Luke sighs with relief and plants another kiss on me.

Suddenly, I hear the front door burst open behind me.

"Ella Jane Montgomery! Get inside right now!" Dad's voice bellows.

I close my eyes and furrow my eyebrows at the thought of how many months I'm about to be grounded for.
I turn reluctantly to face my fuming father, stand up and walk towards the doorway.

"Mr Montgomery. Nice to see you again." I hear Luke say smugly.

Again?

"Get the fuck off my property, Hemmings." My dad says bluntly. My eyes shoot towards Luke in confusion.
What the hell am I missing?

"I'll see you at school, El." Luke says, holding an intense stare with my father.

Dad puts his hand on my back and practically pushes me inside, closing the door forcefully behind us.

"What the hell what that?" I semi-yell in frustration and confusion.

He shakes his head and begins to walk away from me.
"You're forbidden from seeing that kid again. Am I clear?"

I raise my eyebrows and scoff at his ridiculous threat.

"You can't forbid anything. What do you have against him?" My voice gets louder with each word.

"I'm your father, Ella. And what I say, goes. Now, my friend and his son will be here any second. Pull yourself together and forget about that Hemmings loser."
With that, he exits the room, and I feel as though steam could fly out of my nose at any second.

• a half hour later •

I hear the doorbell ring, and sit up from the couch where I've been watching TV, trying my best to compose my anger.
From the living room, I hear Dad open the front door and greet the guests.
Then, my name is called.

"Ella, come here." Dad calls.
Without any trace of enthusiasm, I stand up, swiftly tie up my hair and walk to the door, where a middle-aged man in a button-up shirt and khakis is shaking my Dad's hand. There's another guy there, facing away from me. His hair is black and he's wearing a school varsity jacket.
My school's varsity jacket.

"Ella, this is my work colleague Joseph, and his son, Calum Hood. Calum and Joseph, this is my daughter, Ella."

Shit.