Chapter 9

A beam of light hit my face and I groaned.
" Mom. I'm tired. Close them." I said groggily.
I didn't fall asleep last night until around 3 in the morning because I didn't want to get off the phone with Caleb.
We talked about nothin and told me a couple jokes that had me holding my side sometimes from laughing so hard I thought I'd die.
Who knew he could be so funny?
When I finally got to the point of yawning between every word he told me goodnight but insisted that we keep talking.
He gave in after a while and he stayed up.
We didn't talk. Just listened to each other breath.
I know it sounds weird but hearing his breathing was comforting.
" It's 2 in the afternoon. The only reason I let you sleep is because I know you were up late on the phone." she said.
I looked at her to see if she was grinning but she had a grin on her face.
" Sarah called. She wants to go to the pool with you. I told her you were up and you'd be ready in half an hour." she said going to the doorway.
" How long ago was that?" I asked, pulling the sheets off me and sitting upright.
" Oh about 10 minutes ago." she said.
"Mom!" I quickly jumped up and quickly went to my closet looking for my bathing suit.
My mom loved messing with me and I have to admit. It's pretty nice having a mom that's a child at times.
" You suck" I grumbled.
She chuckled and left, closing the door behind me.
I finally found my polka dot bikini top but couldn't find the bottom do I got a black bikini bottom that matched fine to it.
I ran to the shower and quickly washed my body down. I wrapped a towel around myself and brushed my teeth quickly. I ran a comb through my hair several times and grabbed a hair tie and slid it on my wrist as I walked back to my room. I put on my bikini and grabbed my pool bag and threw in a pair of sandals, my cell, and an extra hair tie just in case.
I went back to the bathroom and put in my deodorant, comb and brush before I snatched a towel and jogged downstairs to make myself a quick piece of toast.
I heard a car horn and I quickly slapped some butter on my not-so-toasted bread before grabbing my towel and bag and my toast hanging from my mouth. I locked the door and practically ran to her car because the driveway was hot.
I jumped into the car and threw my stuff into the backseat.
She smiled.
" Hey babes." Sarah said.
She began driving to the pool and I looked at her.
" Couldn't call my cell?" I asked.
" I felt like talking to your mom. She's so laid back I forget she's an adult sometimes." she laughed.
I ate my toast and I looked at her.
" Anything new with, uh- What's his name again?" I asked.
" Steve" she said, with a hint of awe.
" Well anything new with Steve?" I asked smiling.
" Not really. We hung out yesterday. Just watched horror movies." she said.
" What was the name of one of them?" I asked her challengingly.
I saw her blush.
" Ok maybe there was some kissing and I couldn't really watch the movie." she admitted.
I laughed and so did she.
" His lips. Oh my gosh." she muttered to herself.
I laughed.
" Don't forget he's friends with Caleb so he's got to be a player." I told her.
She pulled into the parking lot and it was packed. I groaned and opened my door.
" Whatever. He knows I'm a tough girl so he's not gonna pull anything on me." she said.
She flexed her arms and I laughed. I grabbed my things from the back seat then ran to the gate of the pool.
Sarah laughed and ran with me.
" My feet are burning" I groaned.
She laughed and we found ourself a spot of our own at the top of the hill. We lied out our towels and realized what I was forgetting.
" Here" Sarah handed me a pair of sunglasses.
" Your a life saver." I said slipping them onto my face.
She smiles and slid hers on and we put on our sunscreen real quick before lieing down.
The sun was blazing today and felt like it was a thousand degrees.
" So you and Caleb. What up?" she asked.
I closed my eyes and felt my body already beginning to sweat.
" Nothing really. I slept over his house two nights ago and then he met my parents yesterday."
" Really? And how did that go? Both sleeping over and meeting your parents."
I smiled remembering me sleeping next to him.
" Sleeping with him was good. I mean we didn't have sex but we talked and kissed a little." I blushed and I heard her chuckle.
" But he's really sweet. And meeting my parents. It was embarrassing but we survived."
" Deets" she said.
So I told her from the moment we walked into my house to the moment we walked out.
We both laughed after I finished.
" I wouldn't know what to do if I were you."
She gasped for air and we settled down after a while.
" But seriously Kenya. Don't fall for him just yet." she said suddenly turning serious.
I turned and looked at her but she had her eyes closed, looking upwards.
" He's a player. Once a player always a player." she said.
I was about to say that her boyfriend was one too, then realized she was strong and could handle herself if he broke her heart.
Me, on the other hand, is completely vulnerable and weak.
I sighed and lied back down.
" I wont." I told her.
But it was too late.
I had fallen for him the moment my eyes saw him in the hospital.