Chapter Twenty One - Silence

"Tony, it will help." I persist. I hadn't been back to the bar for almost a week, making all of my staff increasingly suspicious. It had also been almost a week since the phone call, and almost a week since my almost-moment with Bruce. Bruce hadn't talked to me since then. It really shouldn't bother me as much as it did, his silence. We had gone for days without talking before, but this was different. It was as if he was actively avoiding me. If I came into a room he was in, he'd leave. If I tried to talk to him, he'd brush me off without a second glance. After a few days.... I stopped trying. If he didn't want to talk to me, then fine.

        "Really? Putting you in danger will help? Sure then. Let's just go right now." Tony replied with heavy sarcasm. I let out a huff of air in frustration. Ever since the phone call, Tony had become more overprotective than ever, while at the same time being angry and hurt that I hadn't told him and my reasons why.

        "Nat, Pep, help me out here." I say, turning to them. They were sitting on stools at the counter.

        "I'm with Tony on this one." Pepper says. "Doing this could seriously hurt you if he gets to you." I sigh and turn to Nat.

        "Actually..." She says. "This could help us a lot. She wouldn't be any danger on center stage while everyone is watching. We could all be there. And she could give us some sort of signal if he's in the crowd, and we could get him. Charge him for murder or something." I frown.

        "But he didn't commit-"

        "Oh Rose, just give me twenty-four hours, a knife, and his DNA. Then he will be." She says, cutting me off. We all look at her warily. "What? I don't see anyone objecting." I shrug.

        "Well....."

        "No." Pepper says. I roll my eyes. She could be such a downer.

        "Guys, I'll be fine. Nat's right." I press. Eventually Tony would have to give in. "I made a promise, and I'm not going to back down from it."

        "Well now you just sound like Steve." Tony grumbles.

        "Who sounds like me?" Steve and Clint walk in. I throw my arms up in exasperation.

        "Well why don't we just invite everyone in here?!" I half yell. "We just need more opinions!" I see Steve freeze where he is standing, trying to decide whether he should leave or not. I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose in frustration. "I'm sorry Steve. I didn't mean to snap. It's not your fault."

        "It's okay. You've had a lot on your plate lately." He responds. I give him a small, smile, thanking him for understanding. "But what are you all arguing about?" I sigh.

        "Rose is insisting at singing at the bar tonight." Tony says, knowing that despite their differences, Steve would side with him on this one. Steve turns to me.

        "Are you crazy? You could get hurt!" He exclaims. I groan.

        "I told them that I would do it last week! It's my bar, my life, and my choice!" I scream, before turning on my heel and heading out of the room. I'm two rushed steps out of the room when I slam into Bruce, making  him stumble back and me land on my butt.

        "Ah. I'm sorry...." Bruce starts, but he trails off when he sees that it's me. "Uh... Rose..." He stutters. I scowl and hoist myself up, brushing off my backside.

        "Yup. Just me. Sorry to disappoint." I say shortly. I go to move around him, and he frowns and grabs my arm. I look down at his hand on my arm, and then look up at him.