Chapter Twenty - Bryant

The rest of the team got back an hour before Tony did, all tired from their mission. They had been dropped off by a quinjet on the roof, and they had come down to Em and I in the kitchen. Nat had just simply dropped her bags and sat down at the counter, laying her head on her crossed arms. Steve and Clint had hung back slightly before I set plates at open spots, making more pancake batter so they could have breakfast too.

        We didn't talk much at all, just quietly ate. I didn't know where Bruce had gone. "Is there any reason that Bruce is asleep on the couch?" Steve asks. Oh. So now I do know where he is.

        "I think he just had a long night. Probably just accidentally fell asleep there." It didn't surprise me. I was pretty sure he had been up all night working while I had been up all night thinking and panicking.

        "He doesn't sleep much." Nat comments. I nod. "Where's Lil?" She asks. I look at Em.

        "Asleep?" I ask. She nods.

        "Still won't talk to us?" Clint asks. Em nods again, grabbing the syrup. "Didn't think so." He mutters, stabbing a pancake with a fork. I raise my eyebrows at him.

        "Maybe it's because you keep stabbing your food." I mutter.

        "I'm an assassin. I stab things. Sue me." He retorts, and I give a laugh.

        "I thought you shot things." I say. He shrugs.

        "Eh. Both. What's your point?"

        "I don't have one." I say. "I'm just observing." I grab the mixing bowls and duck down, shoving them in the dish washer before setting it to run. As I stand back up, someone grabs me from behind. I flip around to see Casey.

        "Rose! Are you okay? Where was he at? Did he see you?" She looks me over, rambling before quickly hugging me. "Oh my gosh you scared me to death!" She lets me go, and I frown.

        "How did you get here so quickly?" I question. She glances behind me, and I see Tony and Pepper. "You told them?!" I exclaim.

        "I had too! You wouldn't! They deserve to know."  She says. "Besides, I only told them what little you told me. Which was as much as it took to make me help you get away from Malibu."

        "Why didn't you tell us?" Tony asks. I can see that he's half angry-half upset. I quickly scan Tony's mind, finding out what he knows. Not much. Basically exactly what Casey said. Only the little she knew.

        "I didn't tell you because I... I...." I'm stumbling over words. I look over to see Em watching the entire thing curiously. "Em?" Her eyes snap to me. "Can you go hang out in your room with Lil? We need to discuss some adult things... Privately." Em nods and jumps of the stool, hugging me before sprinting out.  I look at everyone, and I see Bruce walk in, rubbing his eyes. He looks up to see all of us.

        "I feel like I missed something."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

        Everyone is sitting in the living room. Tony insisted that the whole team would be here to hear this, and I didn't want to explain it more than once. "I'm pretty sure he didn't see me Casey. But he was in the bar. Thats too close to be a coincidence." I say quietly.

        "Who?" I look up at Nat.

        "His name is Bryant. He's the most dangerous guy I've ever met." I mutter. "He's psychotic. An obsessive, abusive, blackmailing stalker who knows too much." That got Bruce to look up at me. The silent question ran through his head. Was this the person I was talking about earlier? I nod once at him.