Chapter Seventeen - Chemistry

Lil's POV ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

        Em and I stepped out of the elevator and into the living room in the tower. Rose hadn't picked us up from school today, which was rare in itself, especially considering how guilty she has felt about Tony making her move into the tower. Em tugged on my hand and pointed towards the couch. Rose was curled up on the couch, her phone still clutched in her hand, and she looked absolutely dead to the world.

        "Let's go find someone else to bother, okay? Rose looks really tired." I whisper to Em.

        "Mr Bruce?" She asks, and I raise an eyebrow but nod. I didn't know what her strange fascination with him was, but if she liked him, I would at least try to. I hadn't really talked to him much. He was honestly pretty shy.        

        "Alright then. Let's go find him." She smiles and takes off running down the hallway. I roll my eyes, but smile and follow her. Maybe I could find out more about Bruce. I could tell he kinda liked Rose. It was like when my friends at school liked each other, but wouldn't admit it. Plus, after all Rose had done for us, and all the crappy guys she had gone through, maybe, if I was right about Bruce, she could have something nice for once?

        Em and I roam the halls, not really bothering to use Jarvis. We figured if we found Tony, he'd be able to tell us where Bruce was. Plus, we just liked walking around to random floors and messing with stuff. Once, one weekend, Tony and Pepper had left, and Rose, Em, and I had moved everything three inches to the left. The first hour they were back they stubbed their toes about ten times, and we had all been hiding and laughing. But that was also the weekend mom had used the necklace Rose had given me for alcohol money. Memories were worth more than stuff anyway.

        "Tony!" Em yells as we hit another floor. "Mr. Bruce!" Why Em calls Bruce 'Mr. Bruce' I doubt i'll ever know. Every once in a while she'll call Rose 'Miss Rose', but I figured it must be another random quirk of hers.

        "Emily? Lil?" A voice calls out.

        "God?!" I exclaim, not able to find the source of the voice.

        "Um.... no..."

        "Jesus?" I whisper.

        "Still no. It's just me." I turn to see Bruce coming out of one of the rooms. We were on the apartment floor, and he looked like he had just taken a shower. "What'd you girls need? Wheres Rose?" He asks, looking around. Curious that he asked about Rose right away. Maybe I was right on the liking her front.

        "Mr. Bruce!" Em runs over and hugs him, her little arms unable to reach all the way around the tops of his legs. He smiles fondly down at her, ruffling her hair.

        "Hey Em." He says.

        "Em wanted to find you. Rose hadn't picked us up from school today, and when we got here, we found her dead asleep on the couch in the living room." Bruce frowns, his eyebrows furrowing together. "So.... here we are."

        "Well.... I was just going to go back to the lab." He says, jabbing his thumb towards the elevator. I shrug.

        "It's not like we have anything better to do. Besides, I may need help with homework of something." I say, practically inviting me and Em to go down to his lab with him.

        "I... Okay then." He stutters, rubbing the back of his neck. Em takes off towards the elevators, And Bruce and I follow, trailing behind. We get to the lab, and I immediately notice something.

        "Why is the trashcan on the ceiling?" I ask, pointing up to the upside down basket. Bruce glances up and chuckles at it.

        "Ask Rose." Is the only explanation he offers. He goes over to a half empty work table and starts looking over the papers lying there. I follow and plop my science book down, grabbing a stool and I sit on the other side of the table. Em runs around the lab a few times, looking in awe at everything, before finally setting down and starting to draw all over some papers. I really hope those weren't important. Oh well.