Chapter 24 - Peter Pan

*NOT EDITED*

Chapter 24

---

I can't do this. I'm going to die. I'm going to fricking die. And it's all Ryder Sander Adams' fault. Well, 'twas nice knowing you world, but I guess this is my time.

Earlier . . .

   "Ash-pie, why'd you skip your desert?" Elyse asked, collecting the dirty plates from the counter.

   I smiled proudly and looked at everyone sitting around the table. "I am planning to eat healthy from now on. You know, get the healthy lifestyle."

   Dad, Sarah, Elyse, and Damon's faces were all blank, not giving away anything. I thought they didn't hear me, but then they all burst out laughing. They laughed so much, Dad had to hold the edge of the counter for support.

   Now I knew where I got my dramatic side from⎯ the whole family.

   "I-I'm sorry. But healthy?" Damon started another laughing fit again. "Consider being a comedian as a career."

   I rolled my eyes. If I could, I'd roll my eyes into another galaxy.

   "You guys can't be serious. I don't eat that bad."

   "Remember when we called you a wild beast? Yeah, I was serious," Damon said, shaking his head.

   "You're a funny kid." Sarah patted my shoulder, wiping the tears that had leaked from her eyes.

   "Come on, you'll be late for your date. Have your apple pie," Elyse said, sliding me my plate.

   I grunted, but took it nevertheless because, honestly, they were right. Hah, eat healthy. I really am a jokester.

   Taking one last look at my reflection in the mirror beside the door, I smiled in approval and left the house. Ryder had texted me and told me that he came here earlier than the supposed time.

Once he spotted me, he smiled back and unlocked the passenger seat. I got in and turned to him.

"What took you so long?" He asked.

"I told my family that I wanted to start eating healthy and⎯are you⎯why are you smiling?" I narrowed my eyes accusingly at him. He was struggling to keep a straight face on.

Clearing his throat, he said, "I'm not. It's just, have you seen yourself eat? No offense, but you can devour a large pizza in under a minute. And in the four months that I've known you, I think the only vegetables you ate were the lettuce in your burgers."

Listening to his words, I realized it was true. I just shrugged in return, accepting the fact that I'll never be healthy.

"Speaking of burgers, I'm taking you to the best diner I know. It was my childhood favorite, and it's very clean, so don't worry about that." He started the engine, and backed out of our neighborhood.

   I beamed at the sound of that. Ryder looked at me pointedly with an amused expressing, making me roll my eyes.

We got there in no time and I could already tell that the diner would be amazing. The exterior design was set to give off a vintage vibe and I could see from the windows the infamous red seats by the counter. 'Laura's Diner', the sign read.