8 - Into The Unknown

Start from the beginning

Brinley could feel the distrust coming off of everyone in waves. There was no way this gathering was going to go smoothly, eventually someone would say something that would cause a riot.

Brinley had taken pleasure in watching the grounders remove their weapons upon arrival at Camp Jaha. She'd caught Indra's eyes and sent her a large smirk that was met with a hate filled glare.

Brinley tensed as one of the grounders boldly made his way towards the wall where Brinley was standing beside Murphy, who looked bored as usual. However a lazy smirk over came his face as the grounder got closer.

'You got a problem.'

Brinley stared at Murphy, a clear warning written across her face. Murphy paid her no attention, meeting the grounders stare evenly, his grip tightening on the flask he held.

The grounder spoke back in an unfamiliar language, which only amused Murphy further. 'I'm sorry man I don't speak grounder.'

The grounder reached out, knocking the flask and it contents to the floor. Murphy retaliated before Brinley could stop him, shoving the grounder back, drawing the attention of everyone in the room.

'Mr Murphy!' The warning was clear in Kane's voice. 'Apologise to that man.'

'For what?' Murphy's face twisted in anger. 'He was the one who came at me.'

'Two days work detail.' Marcus' voice was hard.

'Work detail, I just told you-'

'Care to make it three?'

'Murphy, leave it alone.' Brinley tugged Murphy forwards, away from the confrontation but the grounder seemed unable to let it go as he spoke in perfect English.

'You're gonna burn just like your friend.'

Murphy's face smoothed out for a moment before he shook Brinley's grip off, turning back around and punching the grounder directly in the face.

The two males began fighting, as all hell broke loose. Brinley and Octavia exchanged a look as they began pushing people away while Kane screamed at Murphy to stop.

*****

Brinley swallowed her pride as she punched open the doors of the Ark's makeshift mechanical area. She'd left Murphy to his work detail, promising to find him once she'd spoken to Raven.

Brinley entered the room, her eyes flitting from one metallic contraption to another, right to the brunette girl in the centre of the room who was already watching her.

'What do you want?'

The words weren't nasty, but they weren't exactly inviting either. Some of the tension between the two had simmered down after the incident in the grounder village but remnants of the animosity remained.

'I was wondering if you could do something for me.'

Raven scoffed. 'Everyone always is. What do you need?'

'I need a radio, preferably one of the newest ones you've got.'

At this, Raven's head snapped up in confusion, her brows furrowing. 'What do you need a radio for? They're aren't any sanctioned assignments.'

Brinley shrugged, toying with one of the contraptions on Raven's workbench. 'That's because this mission isn't exactly authorised.'

Raven put down the wires she had been holding, turning to face Brinley completely. 'What are you planning?'

Brinley sighed, hoping she could still trust Raven. 'I'm going back to Mount Weather.'

Raven's shook her head. 'No you're not.'