Chapter 33 - the Vanville vanity

"It was definitely not necessary to dump water on my head!" Dawn complained as she tucked a strand of damp hair behind her ear.

"Need I remind you of the fire alarm incident last month?" Serena responded to which Dawn immediately became mute.

The three women had just exited their apartment and were now walking towards Serena's shop.

Dawn ran a hand through her blue hair, working through some of the tangles so it would air dry better. After waking her up, Shauna and Serena hadn't given her much time to get dressed, insisting that they would explain on the way and that Dawn simply needed to come for potential moral support.

Shauna had agreed that that was part of the reason for the bucket over the head but they really did want her to come along.

So here they were, walking closer and closer to the little shop. As they approached, Shauna noticed several pieces of paper littering the sidewalk in front of the door and window. She jogged ahead of her friends to see what the mess was for. She picked up a few sheets and riffled through them, her eyes narrowing as she read the words.

"What's that?" Serena asked coming up behind her, Dawn bringing in the rear.

Shauna shook her head, crumbled the papers in a ball and tossed it inside an outdoor trash bin. "Garbage," she replied.

However, Shauna had failed to pick up all the paper and Serena swooped down on a few sheets that she had accidentally stepped on.

"No Sere don't –" Shauna started but Serena had already turned away to read " Two-Timing Liar" and "Ash iz 2 gud 4u."

"Wow. Do people think writing is the same thing as texting these days?" Dawn commented snatching away the notes and tearing them into little pieces of confetti before letting them flutter into the bin.

Serena sighed then forced a smile. "Well you know there's always people who go along with the media hype."

She took out her keys and opened the door to the shop. At least no one had been able to get inside to do any damage. Shauna and Dawn said they would clean up the remainder of the trash outside before coming in. Serena nodded and headed to the counter to check her messages.

The red light on the answering machine was blinking crazily and it wasn't even ten a.m., the time she usually opened up on Mondays. She grabbed a notepad and pen before pressing the 'Play' button.

"Hi Serena? This is jimmy. I was your one o'clock for today. Yeah sorry something came up and I won't be able to come in. Bye."

No 1pm jimmy, Serena scribbled down then deleted the message. Next.

"This is Viola. I had come in last week to fill out a form and made an appointment for Wednesday this week at 11 in the morning. I'm going to have to cancel for now. Don't worry about trying to reschedule me. Thanks. Bye."

No Wed 4pm Viola, Serena wrote down below the note about Jimmy with a sinking heart.

Delete Viola message and move on.

"Yo Serena Yvonne. I can't believe you played Ash and Calem like that! Just 'cause you think you got two hotties on your arm don't mean you're all that. So you better watch your back next time you try to fool around while tellin' peepz you know what you're talkin' about."

Delete.

"That sounded like some teenager from the eight mile," Shauna said coming up to the counter. "Do you have caller ID on this phone? Because I would love to call this punk back and show her who's she's messing with."