Chapter 23 - Date Over

"I had a wonderful time tonight," Serena was saying as Shauna returned to their table from the ladies' room.

Shauna took a seat as Calem turned to her friend and said, "It doesn't have to be over."

"What did you have in mind?" Serena asked and Shauna would have kicked her for sounding so ridiculously suspicious if Gary hadn't broken all her toes thanks to his massive feet.

Calem appeared to not have noticed. "Hmm, A walk in the park?"

Before Serena could give a reply, the waiter appeared with two sets of black leather check bills and handed one to each of the men.

Calem quickly deposited his credit card inside and held out a hand to Serena . "One last dance?"

Serena accepted and they returned to the dance floor leaving Shauna and Gary alone to stare at their bill.

Shauna snuck a glance over in the direction of the dancing pair and satisfied that Serena's attention was nowhere near focused on the table, she leaned over to try and grab the bill.

"What are you doing?" Gary asked holding it away.

"I told you, I'm paying for myself."

"Little Maria, I would like nothing more than to watch you slave away in my building's restaurant washing dishes for the rest of the month, but I have my pride and reputation as a man," he replied.

"And I care about that because?"

Gary sighed and handed her the bill. "Suit yourself."

Shauna reached out and opened it. "Which one is mine?"

Gary pointed at a number and her eyes slowly widened, her mouth falling open. Forget not eating for a few days! She wouldn't be able to eat for a few weeks! "Why is my meal so much more than yours?"

"You ordered the Blue Fin Tuna."

"Yeah? So? Isn't tuna fish supposed to be cheaper than other fish? That's why I ordered it."

Gary burst out laughing. "Wow. You really are an ignorant little nun."

"I do not appreciate you laughing at me nor do I appreciate you calling me weird names!"

"Aren't you curious to know why I'm laughing?"

"Do tell," Shauna said crossing her arms with a frown.

"Well Little Maria, while tuna is probably the most consumed fish in the world, that's regular tuna. The one you consumed tonight, however, is probably one of the most expensive fish in the world."

Shauna bit her lip and looked down at the large figure once more and slowly said, "I can still pay for it." She'd just work overtime when she got back home.

Gary snatched the bill back and pulled out his credit card.

Shauna took her own card out from her purse and handed it to him. "Here."

"What am I supposed to do with this?"

"It's to pay for my half."

Gary rolled his eyes and as the waiter returned to the table, handed the bills back to him. He then flicked the card back to Shauna who was glaring at him. She wanted to punch him but the jerk would probably actually like that.

"What?"

"I told you I would pay for it myself!"

"And I told you I have a reputation to consider!"

"As the Playboy Prince? Please. If I paid for myself you don't have to worry about me spreading that around. As if I would tell people I went on a date with you. I have a rep to consider too."