Chapter 43

"Where are we going?" her mother's voice croaked.

"North," Nova replied for the umpteenth time. The midday sun was making Helaku more delusional than ever.  But Nova didn't want to stop until she had shade and fresh running water.  She kept the cart heading toward the elusive river which crept across the horizon.

"North?" Helaku's face was a picture of confusion. "But you told me we were going to make a loaf of cornbread!" The whining tone, reminiscent of a petulant child.

Nova nodded. "We're going to bake cart loads of cornbread - but first we have to get away from the ranch."

"Away from the ranch?" Her mother asked in confusion. "Why are we leaving?"

Nova licked her dry lips. "It is a long story, Mama."

"I'm thirsty."

Nova fished around for the flask of water. "Here." She watched as Helaku finished the last of the water.

"More!" Her mother's tone slipped from petulant child to cantankerous toddler in moments.

"We'll be at the river shortly. We have biscuits?"

"No." Arms crossed, Helaku glared at Nova in defiance. "Water!"

Nova felt terrible, taking this poor woman about the country when she should have left her on the ranch with Rosa. But she knew that one of the circling criminals (her husband included) would be tempted to use the woman as bait. As Nova fumbled around in all of their luggage, hoping to find something else for her mother to drink, her ears were assaulted by the sound of horse hooves and yelling fast approaching.

Maneuvering the cart to one side, to allow the horses to pass, she heard a familiar voice snarling. "Going somewhere in a hurry?" Before the reins of her horse were snatched up - and the cart was brought to an abrupt standstill.

"Brandon!"

"I believe you have something of mine?"

"Let my horse go!" With her whip in one hand, she began lashing out at him.

He caught it and wrenched the thing from her grasp. Brandon opened his fist and glanced down at the thin red strip of blood across his hand. "You cut me, you whore!"

"Only once?" She said in disappointment.

"I should flog you within a breath of your life, but I almost feel sorry for you," he snarled.

"Almost?"

"Pass me the jewels," Brandon attempted chivalrous charm. "And I will let you leave with your life."

"Search my wagon, you will find no jewels here."

"Of course I won't," he agreed. "Because a greedy grabbing bitch, like you, wouldn't part with your own feces if you found out you could make a dime from it."

Where had the man picked up such a hateful view of her? "Then you won't be surprised to learn that I took the time to hide them on my trail."

"Right!" Brandon laughed. Turning to his henchmen, he motioned for them to search the wagon. The drunken lout climbed onto the cart and searched frantically while his friend frisked Nova and her mother.

"I can't believe I ever loved someone like you," Nova wondered aloud. "Were you always such a monster?"

"I have my morals," Brandon told her. "I don't take anything from people who wouldn't rob me."

"I wouldn't..." Nova gazed at him in horror. How could he think of her as some lowly criminal?

"You married that fool so quickly. You hoped that his besotted admiration would pay off."

"He was far from besotted." If Brandon knew the real reason why Jese had offered a marriage proposal was for her to protect him from the law then Brandon would be able to retire in his riches after taking the two in. But, despite her feelings towards her husband, she wasn't going to betray him. She was bound by a strange sense of loyalty.

"Oh, I realize that now. He is far more interested in your ranch than he will ever be in you. That admiration I thought I saw in his eyes when I met him, I was mistaken. It was only greed."

"Nothing here, Boss." The drunk interrupted them. "She must be telling the truth."

"Well then," Brandon said. "Tie them up and throw them in the cart."

"My mother needs a drink and rest. She is very frail."

"You should have thought about that before you took her so far across the territory."

The drunken lout bound Nova and threw her onboard. Tying his horse behind the cart he mounted.

"My horses need a rest."

"Gag her," Brandon spoke, watching as his skinny little henchman did as he was told. "Let's make this easy," he continued. Bringing his horse to the cart so he could look down easily upon her. "You are going to lead us to the jewels or you'll watch your mother die a slow and painful death."

Nova gut clenched. Adrenaline surged to her limbs, she could have torn him limb from limb... but it was too late. She tried desperately to scream, but her gag prevented any noise from escaping.

Instead of jumping easily from the cart and running away. Helaku sat, with that permanently confused look on her face and stared out at the scenery.

"So, where to first?"

She nodded her head southward. Her inevitable demise stretched out before her.

There was no other choice. She couldn't see her mother suffer.