Chapter 19

Nova had been seated on the porch when Jese had arrived. Riding his horse towards the homestead from the ranch's back paddocks. Where on earth had he been? She wondered. And why couldn't he use the road like all normal visitors?

Nova angrily submerged goose down into the hot water, and beat at it deftly with a large wooden spoon. Her frustration making light work of the laborious job.

But it didn't matter how eagerly she pummeled the feathers, nothing could distract her from the sensation that his presence caused.

"Hello." He dismounted from his horse. His voice was sickly, like his expression.

So, he was green about the gills from too many hours spent propped up by the bar, she thought. Even though she expected it from a man, she still felt let down that he'd failed to prove her wrong.

Glancing at Jese, she felt a hot surge of anger, somewhere in her chest. The feeling drowned out the bizarre reaction that her body was having to his presence. "Good afternoon," she replied, with a disapproving sniff.

"I just landed my airship on the river we found the pup in." He stood at the top of the steps for some time in silence. If he was waiting for her reply he better not hold his breath, she thought angrily.

His black eyes scorching her more than the mid day sun had managed to. The gaze sent strange emotions around her body, making her feel breathless. Making her heart ache to the point that she felt on the edge of tears. It was the financial stress, she decided.

Him standing there watching her like that, it was becoming unbearable. She was forced to hold out a verbal olive branch. "It must've been a rough landing. You look sick."

His eyes were leaving a blazing trail across her skin. Does he go around branding every woman in town with his gaze?

#

Jese noticed how the sun cast a coppery glow over Nova's chocolate brown locks.

He licked his lips, feverishly. The porch caught some of the evening breeze. The cool air couldn't revive him. He'd had a difficult night, with considerable blood loss and minimal sleep, and it wasn't over yet. He needed to find these gun weilding maniacs before they came back.

He noticed Nova moving in discomfort. His brows drew together in confusion. Had he replied? "Please sit." She motioned at the chair opposite her. He could barely hear her through the whooshing noise which rushed past his ears. He'd spent the entire night searching for the cattle rustlers and it had brought him to a complete dead end. On reflection he wished he had spent the night getting obliterated and celebrating his small success, instead of traipsing about in a sickly fashion. His stubborn pride would kill him.

"Thank you," he muttered weakly. As he sat, he wondered how long it would take to become immune to her. To be oblivious to the way her chocolate brown hair tumbled down her back. "What are you doing?" He motioned to the barrel.

"I'm refreshing your mattress," she said as she dumped another bucket of geese feathers into the scalding water. "It was my father's bed. See how murky the water is."

"The sweat of a hard working man," he said. Without a trace of sarcasm.

#

An angry laugh errupted from her soul. "Oh yes! He was a very hard working man, at getting drunk." If drinking was an occupation, then her father was undeniably the hardest worker around. He'd pickled himself so thoroughly that Nova wouldn't be surprised if the mattress had become flammable from his alcohol laden sweat.

"Let me help," he offered.

With a reserved smile she consented. "I was going to haul them up to the garrett to dry, but it is quite a fire hazard if they are left there too long. And I can't afford to take any risks with my run of luck."

"So what do you suggest?"

"I've been working on that." Nova pointed at a strange contraption nearby.

He went to inspect it. "You're making this?"

She nodded.

He moved a bicycle pedal around with his hand. The pedals moved a fan around which pushed air up through a steel grill compartment. "Does it work?"

"Who knows? I'm just about to try it."

Taking her ladle she scooped some of the feathers out. He watched as the hot water drained off them. After a small eternity she moved the damp feathers to the compartment on her contraption. After hooking the door behind them she sat on the bicycle chair. Baby blue skirts pulled up - momentarily - to reveal long stockinged legs. And then she began pedaling furiously. The feathers barely budged at first... but as the water disappeared the feathers slowly became airborne.

His stomach heaved. The heat and the blood loss, it was all becoming too much.

"It's working!" She exclaimed. "If only the pedals could go a little faster." Stepping off the seat she knelt down.

"Let me." Jese jumped to his feet quickly. As he did he felt a white light descend upon him and his vision narrowed rapidly. He clutched violently at his arm.

"Jese? Are you OK?"

"Yeah." Steadying himself, Jese paused for some time, before continuing to talk. "Tough night." He really shouldn't have been flying ... he was lucky he hadn't fainted in the cockpit.

"I noticed."

"You did?" He felt confused. Why was that icy tone in her voice?

"Your face looks as green as my father's used to..."

"Your father?" He could hear himself slurring. A fog was descending. Jese turned to say something, to defend himself. He noticed that her face was as defiant as his. That was the last thing he noticed before he fell - like a dead man - to the floor.

As he tumbled past her vision he noticed her gaze catching on his sleeve... She'd obviously spotted those tell tale scarlet stains through his shirt.