going on a field trip and realizing the bus ride was the best part

"Do you have everything?" Mom asked as I dragged my suitcase down the stairs.

"Snacks? Blankets? Sleeping bag? Phone?"

"Like I'd forget my phone, Dad." I rolled my eyes.

"Just double-checking."

Every bio class got the chance to go on a three day camping field trip to study wildlife and stuff. But the best part was missing three days of school. The worst part was the outdoors.

Honestly, I hated camping and I hated the woods. I wanted to shower and I wanted to eat real food and sleep in my own bed. And the bugs. Oh God, the bugs. It was kind of funny because I was a werewolf and werewolves were supposed to have some sort of connection with nature.

My parents dropped me off at the front door where everyone else was. As soon as I got there, a dead silence hushed over everyone, all eyes on me.

News spread fast that I was a werewolf. Of course, Mystic High was also revealed to be full of werewolves, but the only thing people were talking about was me and I didn't know why.

My eyes connected with Stella's, who quickly turned around and started talking to Nicole and Taylor.

Since I had no friends to talk with, I kept to myself.

When the buses came, everyone shoved each other to get in line first.

Since we had more than double the amount of people going on the trip (thanks to Mystic High), we had to take five buses instead of two.

I got on the bus last, which turned out to be the worst mistake of my life. I looked around to sit next to someone but everyone was either already sitting next to someone or they moved their bag so I couldn't sit next to them.

There was only one seat open; the one next to Roan.

I sighed loudly and made my way to the back of the bus.

"It just had to be you." Of all people, of all buses, I just had to sit next to Roan. Why did God hate me so much?

"Like I want to spend five hours sitting next to you." He mumbled, looking out the window. I just prayed I could last that long before I socked him in the nose.

The four buses infront of us drove away first, our bus following last.

I shut my eyes and tried not to listen in on other people's conversation. But that was kind of hard when I had super sensitive senses.

"I heard the machine just malfunctioned." Some girl was saying.

"Maybe she paid the people to do that for attention."

"Her friends dumped her as soon as they found out. I saw it happen."

Everyone was talking about me.

"Don't talk so loudly, she can hear you." Someone whispered-yelled and I winced.

"She's sleeping."

"No, she has werewolf hearing. I heard it's, like, the same as that guy's super advanced hearing in Daredevil."

I really wanted to open my eyes and tell them it was none of their damn business. But I didn't. I tried to calm down and drown their voices out by focusing on my own heartbeat.