a kiss is a lovely trick, designed to stop speech when words become superfluous

The week passed by quickly, and soon enough, the carnival was today.

"Don't forget to buy tickets!" Nicole was announcing to everyone in the hall before I walked to bio.

I sat down infront of Roan, "So, I'll pick you up at six?"

"I really don't have to go. I didn't even buy a ticket yet." He rolled his eyes.

"Don't worry, I already bought our tickets." I shrugged and the warning bell rang. I turned around quickly and tucked the ticket in his textbook, hoping everything would work out the way I wanted it to.

.•*•.

"There he is. Now laugh like you're having a good time." Stella said and I laughed like she just told me a hilarious joke.

Asher wasn't looking over at us but when he was, I needed to look like I was having fun without him.

"What is wrong with you people?" Roan asked.

"Laugh." I commanded but he still didn't.

"Why?"

"Laugh." My tone must've scared him because he gave me some sort of half-smile. Eh, close enough.

"I'm gonna go hang out with Nic and Tay, you coming?" Stella asked and I shook my head.

"I'm good, I think I'm gonna stay with Roan." But only so he could be my "date".

"Okay, have fun," She sang and skipped off to meet up with the rest of our squad.

"Are you using me?"

My shoulders tensed, "Using you for what?"

"Don't lie, I know when you lie."

I crossed my arms, "Maybe. But for good reasons."

"To make Asher jealous, right? Stella needs to learn how to keep her mouth shut." I was going to kill her. For the tenth time. "I honestly don't see the point in this." He scowled.

"It's going to work, I have to show him I can be a good girlfriend and then he'll-"

"Not that," He shook his head, annoyance etched onto his face, "Asher. He's an asshole."

"No, he's not." But even that sounded unconvincing. "At least, not all the time."

Sure, he rejected me and gave me the brush off without caring that it would hurt my feelings, but I still liked him. What was wrong with me?

"Alright, I have an hour before I have to go. What do you want to do?"

"What really is there to do?"

I looked around, "We can play games, eat food, go on the ferris wheel, walk around-"

"Alright let's go."

We were walking down a path full of games when something caught my eye.

"Hey, a shamu!" I loved shamu, it reminded me of our family vacations when all of my brothers were together.