Chapter Twenty Two

Start from the beginning

He smiled that smile back to me. "Well, don't get too used to it. You're doing this next time." he chuckled. He stopped and studied my face for a moment. "Your face looks beautiful in the candlelight."

I blushed violently.  "Joey, stop." I couldn't stop smiling.

Before he could say anything else, a waitress came up to our table. "And how are you two doing on this beautiful Valentine's night?" she asked us in a cheery voice. Joey and I both replied with "fine"'s and the waitress took our order. 

"I'll have Filet Mignon Rossini, the filet cooked well done please." Joey declared. He put his menu down and looked at me. "What will you be having, babe?"

I was caught off guard. I wasn't expecting that name. He was looking at me puzzled, and so was the waitress. "Um...I-I-I'll have the bacon crusted sea scallops, please." I said hurriedly to the waitress.

She smiled. "Both excellent choices. I'll take your menus and your dinner will be here momentarily." She took our menus and glided to the other side of the restaurant.

I looked back at Joey. "Babe?" I could feel myself blushing.

Joey chuckled. "I'm sorry, would you prefer bro?"

"I just wasn't expecting it. I'm still getting used to this." I could feel my body and my face getting warmer as the word "Babe" circled my head.

"So how did Sanchez like your letter?" Joey asked, eager.

"Oh, he loved it. Even read it out loud to the class." I said. "The girls really seemed to like it."

"Did they?" Joey grinned.

"Yeah. In fact, it was so good that Sanchez kept me at the end of class to talk to me about it."

His eyebrows raised. "Is that so?"

"Yeah. He said that whoever the girl I was writing to was, she's very lucky to have a guy like me." I rolled my eyes.

"Yes he is." Joey emphasized.

I shook my head. "You're really not Joey. I've been difficult since the beginning of the school year. I don't know why you wasted your time on me. I'm sure there are plenty of guys that are comfortable with who they are that would be fine with having a stress-free relationship with you."

Joey exhaled a deep breath. "Isaiah, you're not being difficult. It's honestly normal how you've been. You're not used to it, and I'm not trying to rush you. That's why I'm so attached to you I guess."

"What do you mean?"

"You're not like every other guy. You're different. You have your own views on everything. I want to help you with your struggle and help you be comfortable being with you are."

"I don't understand why you put so much energy into me though."

Joey took my hand back in his and squeezed it. "I love you. That's why, because I love you. That's all I need to be with you is love." He took my hand and pressed his lips against it. "I love you Isaiah Wells."

I felt my face turn even more red. "I love you Joseph Mendoza."

Our food arrived and Joey let my hand go to grab his plate. I did the same. We didn't talk much over dinner thanks to the fact that the food was more than delicious. He let me try a piece of his filet mignon and I let him try one of my scallops. I had this feeling in my stomach though, but it wasn't from the food.

I was happy. For the first time in a very long time, I was happy. Everything was going great. I was with someone that truly cared for me and someone that was in love with me. It really couldn't get any better than that. I couldn't help smile when I was eating because all of the things that were going on at once.