Chapter Twenty Two

Comincia dall'inizio

Joey laughed. "I was kind of planning this out ahead of time." he admitted. He got out of the drivers seat and came around to the passenger side, opening the door for me and taking my hand.

"It's a good thing I'm wearing what I'm wearing." I chuckled, still in awe.

Before I could let go of his hand, Joey held on more tightly. "Couple in public, remember?" he reminded me.

"Right." I said, swallowing the lump in my throat. 

He lead my to the entrance of the Fleur. We were walking hand in hand in public for the very first time and it felt great. I felt great.

I felt free.

"Welcome to the Fleur de Lys!" a man at the podium announced to us with a huge smile. "Do you have a reservation? If not, it will be about a two hour wait, sir."

Joey shook his head. "I've made a reservation for two."

"Name, sir?" the man asked.

"Mendoza. Joseph Mendoza."

The man smiled. "And I'm assuming the gentleman next to you is the date you'll be treating out tonight?"

My eyes grew wide. I looked at Joey and he looked back at me, smiling. "Yes, he is." Joey said proudly. I smiled at the way he answered the man's question. He was proud to be with me.

"Follow me this way gentlemen." the man said to us. As he was leading us through the restaurant, my eyes kept growing wider and wider. I've been in a handful of nice restaurants before, but this one in particular was different. It was the most beautiful place I've ever been to. To eat anyway.

I heard Joey laugh. "I'm guessing you've never been here before?" He was looking at my reactions. Great.

"And you have?"

"My parents took me here once," he said, "I had the same reaction that you have right now. I thought it was one of the most beautiful places to have dinner with someone you care about. And when I thought of you, I thought of this place."

I blushed a little. Before I could say anything, the man placed us at our table. "Here you are." he announced to us. "Would you guys like to start off with any appetizers?"

Joey looked at me, seeking for my approval. I smiled at the man. "I'm fine, thank you."

"I'm fine as well, but water would be great, please." Joey said. The man nodded his head and left me and Joey alone.

I took in everything surrounding me. The restaurant was dimly lit. The major source of light were the candles in the center of the table. It was rather quiet, but I imagined most nice restaurants were like that. Each table was filled with a couple, having their own quiet conversations, whispering sweet nothings

"So?" Joey said, bringing me back to reality.

"'So' what?"

"How do you like it? You do like it, right?" Joey asked. His face started to look worried.

I reached for his hand on the table and took it in mine. "It's perfect." I reassured him. "It's just different, you know?"

Joey raised his eyebrow. "How so?"

I cleared my throat. "Well, for one, I'm surprised that guy didn't throw up when we were holding hands."

Joey laughed. "Isaiah, not every town in this state, in this country, is not as conservative as Paradise Springs."

I laughed at my own stupid comment. "You're right."

"Anything else?"

I paused and thought for a moment. "It's different, being taken out on a date. I was usually the one setting it up and getting everything ready. It feels different to have someone taking you out instead of taking you taking them out. It actually feels good." I smiled at him.