CHAPTER 16

The next morning, I was called to a meeting in the base. I brought Michael along too. It was about the Riptide. Not surprisingly, it couldn't be repaired on the island. It had to go to San Francisco for the pieces. All of the Japanese ships were going to the mainland for safekeeping. I looked at the list hanging on the wall.

-Musashi

-Izumo

-Shimikazi

-Chikuma

-Nagato

-Mikasa

       Half a dozen. Not bad for one mission. The Shinano was brought down by gunfire. They refused to surrender, and after the Yamato incident, no one was taking any chances. After we were excused, Michael whispered in my ear.

       "I'm asking her out." He said.

       "Who? Maggie? You literally just saw what she looked like last night. And heard her voice a few hours before that. Are you crazy?"

       "I know love when I see it. That's why I said you never had a chance with those cute girls in school. They just weren't for you. Now can I go ask her?"

       "Fine. But I'll come along."

       We walked past the bombers in the field all the way to the plane. But when we got there, there was only a few muddy holes on the ground where wheels held a plane up. Paint cans were set on the ground off to the side. Around us, more planes started up. We ran to a pilot of a B-29 before he stepped aboard.

       "Did you see a silver B-24 with a dragon painted on it leave?" Michael asked quickly.

       "Yep. Left an hour ago. Headed back to the US for a little before heading on over to Germany. That's where all us bombers are heading. War in the Pacific is almost over. We got their prized killing machine, they got nothing to take it out. Good luck!" And he closed the hatch and taxied away for the runway.

       "No." Michael said, barely a whisper.

       "If we leave soon, you can pilot us there and maybe find her." I said.

       We ran back and asked to head for the US. They said instead to go to Japan one last time. It was a strafing mission. You descend from a high height at fast speeds, hit ground targets, and pull up for the next go by. The target is a large shipyard. The sooner we got the mission done, the sooner we could find her. Riptide would be leaving for repairs as we left, so we would follow it when we got back. We dashed into the cabin of Deathbringer and started up the engines.

       A few hours later, we emerged from the clouds to find the shipyard below us. Fighters descended to attack. Michael pointed his ship downwards and engaged. Metal hulls shattered, cranes and machines burned, freight trains exploded. Suddenly, I saw an unmistakable silhouette. The silhouette of a Yamato class battleship. The hull was finished. Only the deck and guns needed to be added.

       They were building more. I yelled to Michael and pointed to the hull. He ordered all fire be concentrated on the factory near it. The factory was obliterated, and then attention turned to the hull itself. All of the planes turned away to attack. The other ships moved in. When we left for the base, it was more hole than ship.

       We returned to tell them the war was not over. They responded with resuming attacks after January first. Until then, we could go back to the US and be with our families. Michael started up the ship again and roared for America.