Chapter 27: Bonding and Separation

Later that evening, we were back in the Astral Planes, resting and recovering from the battle earlier that day.
I was getting ready to head down to dinner with Takumi. We were about to leave when Kazr suddenly appeared in the room.
"Sorry for intruding, milady," he saw with a bow.
I sighed. "It's fine, Kaze. What do you need?"
He drew out a piece of paper from one of his pockets. "Lady Azura told me to deliver this to you. She also told me to tell you to read it alone, and to not share it with Lord Takumi."
I gently took it from his hands. "Thank you, Kaze. You may leave now."
With a nod, he disappeared from the room.
I then looked at Takumi. "Go on to the Mess Hall. I'll go there once I'm done with the letter and such.
With a nod, he left the treehouse.

With a sigh, I sat on the bed and unfolded the note Kaze had given me. After a quick glance,I could tell that Azura had written the note in a hurry. I then read the note to myself.

Kai, can you please come and meet me by the lake?
I plan to propose to Ryoma at dinner tonight, and I'm not exactly sure how to do it.
I was hoping that you could help me.
-Azura

As I finished reading the nate, I smiled. I knew that one of them was going to propose soon.
I then folded the note back up and put it in my pocket, and made my way to the lake.

===

When I got to the lake, I wasn't surprised at all by the fact that Azura was already there, waiting for me.
"Hello, Kai. I see Kaze was able to deliver my message to you," she said with a smile.
I nodded. "Yeah. So, what exactly do you need help with? I'll be glad to help you with anything."
"Well, I already know what I'm going to say to him when I actually do propose. The only thing is, I'm not sure how to bring it up without being too awkward or obvious..."
I then thought for a moment, and then I got the perfect idea. "I'll bring it up. I'll get everyone's attention, and I'll tell them that you have an announcement to make. Once I do that, you can go on with the proposal."
Azura almost immediately nodded. "Alright. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea."
I smiled. "Alright. Let's go, then."
With a nod, we both went to the Mess Hall.

I had just gotten my food, and sat next to Takumi, who was actually in the middle of a chess match with Leo.
Takumi moved one of his nights. "Check."
Leo looked over the board, a bit frustrated. He then moved one of his pawns to take out the knight.
Takumi slightly chuckled, and moved his bishop. "Checkmate."
Leo had a very surprised look on his face, and looked over the board, and let out an annoyed sigh. "Well done, Prince Takumi. I didn't see that move. If I had, I would've used my own knight, and the gave would've continued on."
I smiled. "Nice job, Takumi."
"Thanks," he said with a smile.
I then carefully stood on the bench of the table I was sitting up, and cleared my throat. "Can I please have everyone's attention?" I said in a really loud voice.
It took a few minutes, but everyone turned their attention to me. I also noticed that Azura was standing in the corner, waiting.
"Personally, I don't have an announcement to make, but Azura does," I said.
Azura then walked out and over to Ryoma, and everyone turned their attention to her. I took that moment to sit back down on the bench I was standing on.
"U-Um...Ryoma...I've known you for a while, and not until a month or so before Kai came to us, I hadn't realized my feelings for you," she said, slightly blushing.
Ryoma smiled. "Of course, Azura. You know I feel the same. Nothing will ever change that."
"I know that," Azura said with a smile. "That's why..." she briefly paused as she dropped to a knee, and as soon as she did, I could see that Ryoma was starting to tear up. "Ryoma, I want to be able to always be by your side. Will...Ryoma, will you marry me?"
Ryoma was silent, and his only initial response was sweeping Azura off her feet, drawing her in for a kiss. "Of course I will, Azura," he said once he broke from the kiss.
At that moment, everyone in the Mess Hall began cheering, happy for the two.
I then looked at Takumi, and smiled. " You know, I'm really happy for them. I have a gut feeling that once this war is over, and Ryoma takes the throne with Azura, that Hoshido is going to thrive under their rule."
Takumi nodded, and gently wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to him. "Yeah. I have to agree with you on that, Kai. Hoshido has a promising future ahead of it with Ryoma next in line."