Chapter 25: Betrayal

Later that night, I was laying with Takumi in our own tent, and I found myself unable to sleep. I slowly sat up, trying not to disturb Takumi, as he was fast asleep. However, my efforts weren't very successful.
"Ugh...Kai?" he asked as he rolled over to face me.
I sighed. "Hey, Takumi. Why don't you go back to sleep? It's pretty late, and you need sleep."
"Then why are you up?" he asked, a bit confused.
"...I can't sleep," I said with a mumbled sigh.
"Alright," he said with a sigh before rolling back over.
I smiled and gently kissed him before getting up and heading out of the tent.

I started to wander around the camp, and I then noticed that someone had a hearth going near the center of the camp. I walked over, and I found Ryoma and Anthony.
Anthony was quick to spot me, and he smiled. "Oh, hey Kai!" he quietly shouted.
Ryoma turned around, and also smiled. "Oh. Hello, Kai. Why are you up at this hour?"
I sighed and shuffled my bare feet on the cold grass. "I can't sleep. I assume the two of you are on watch duty?"
Ryoma nodded. "Indeed. Say...would you mind taking over for me? I need to get some...sleep," he said before yawning.
I slightly giggled. "Of course, brother."
With a smile, Ryoma went back to his tent.
Anthony sighed once Ryoma was gone. "Hey, Kai. Can...can you come me? I...have something I want to do."
I gave him an odd glance. "...why?"
"I want to go in the castle alone and open it so we can get through."
I sighed. "Alright. I guess I'll come."
However, before we left for the castle, I left a note at the camp, specifically in Ryoma's tent, which he happened to be sharing with Azura.

Some time later, we got to some ruins.
I sighed. "This obviously isn't the most direct route," I said with a mumble.
"I know that, but it's the only way we can go without being seen," Anthony said as he briefly glanced at me.
"Alright, that makes sense," I said with a slight smile. "You know, unlike my siblings, I'm much quicker to trust people," I added on.
"It certainly is helpful," Anthony said with a smile. "It makes you an excellent leader. You'd make a fine ruler. It really makes this all the more tragic. All these people...happy to follow you, yey you'll die here- alone," he said with a smirk.
I then took a defensive step back. "Anthony...?"
He then lashed out at me with the short lance he carried, but I quickly dodged the attack.
He chuckled. "Thanks for believing in me! It'll be so much easier to kill you now!" he said as more troops teleported in.
"So, Xander was right," I said as I grit my teeth, as well as gripping the Yato.
Anthony grinned. "Hahaha! Of course he was! I've been ordered to kill you and everyone else in your group! And it was only natural to start with you," he said with a chuckle. "After all, you know what they say about cutting off the head," he added on.
"I think you underestimate my friends, as well as myself," I said with a smirk.
"What are you talking about?" Anthony asked, clearly confused by my comment. "They'll follow me like lambs lambs to slaughter! It'll be too easy!"
"Unless I left them a note before we left," I said with a triumphant smile.
"A message?!" Anthony cried out, clearly angry.
I slightly chuckled. "I told them that if I didn't come back by the time they got up, which they probably already have been, that you had lead me into some type of trap."
"Then...you never trusted me at all!" Anthony said with a growl.
I shook my head. "I'm sorry. I really wanted to. That's why I'm upset that things had to turn out this way. I will remain strong and fight! The least I can do is thin out your ranks...s-so that...my friends will have an e-easier time...once they get here..." I said, tears coming to my eyes. I knew that the chance was slim that I was actually going to make it out of this alive.

An enemy soldier then attacked me, but I quickly retaliated, and defeated two soldiers in the blink of an eye, and I was left panting.
"Now! Everyone, attack her at once! Kill her!" Anthony called out to his troops.
I stood my ground, ready to fight til the end. However, before they had the chance to attack, an arrow flew out of nowhere, killing off an enemy.
I gasped, immediately recognizing the arrow. "T-Takumi?!"
He then ran over to me. "Do you really think that I wouldn't have come to help?"
I sighed. "But you're-"
"Azura said I'm in a fighting condition. I'm fine, Kai," he said, cutting me off.
Just then, another enemy was killed off, this time by a magical attack, which I recognized to be Brynhildr.
Sure enough, Leo came over to us. "Yeesh...we told you Anthony wasn't trustworthy. Though I suppose now isn't the time for 'I told you so'!"
Not too long after that, almost everyone had come to where we were, causing me to smile. "You call came!"
Gunter then looked at Xander, and with a nod, they both went and attacked Anthony.
Anthony grunted. "B-blast it...wh-what's happening?! King Anankos...please...why...why are you...? I-I can still defeat...no...please...please...please don't- GAHHH!"
A bright light then filled my vision, and when it faded, standing in Anthony's place was a Faceless.
I tightly gripped the Yato. "Come on, everyone! We have to kill Anthony!"
Takumi nodded. "Right," he said before pulling me in for a kiss. "And just remember, I'll always be by your side, Kai."
I kissed back. "Of course."
We then engaged the enemy, and after some time, we were able to kill Anthony and his troops.

"I'm sorry, everyone. I was too trusting, and you all could've been hurt...or worse," I said as I shook my head after having killed Anthony.
"There's no need to apologize," Ryoma said with a slight smile.
"What...what do you mean?" I asked, giving him a very odd look.
Ryoma crossed hos arms before he continued speaking. "Anthony tricked you the only way he knew would work," he said before glancing at Xander. "Don't you agree, Prince Xander?"
Xander shook his head. "Kai, I told you before. Your tendency to trust people is your greatest weakness. However, if you stop doing that, you wouldn't be you. And then...I wouldn't be able to follow your lead anymore."
"So basically," Ryoma added on, "you need to keep on believing in people. We will help you with any trouble that comes from it."
I smiled. "Xander, Ryoma...I can't begin to explain how much that means to me."
Elise slightly giggled. "Yeah! What he said! I'll do anything for you, Kai!"
Camilla smiled. "I'll help you as well."
Leo sighed. "I guess I'm in as well."
Gunter smiled. "You've got some strong, loyal allies, Lady Kai."
I nodded, gently wrapping my arms around Takumi. "You're right, Gunter. Thank you, everyone."
Takumi smiled and kissed me, and I kissed back.