Chapter 19: Hoshidans United

There was an on going fight between Nohrian and Hoshidan forces at Castle Shirasagi.
Yukimura sighed. "No Nohrian attack can break through my defenses! Lord Ryoma entrusted me with helping Lady Hinoka in protecting this castle. Even if I die, I will not fail!"
Just then, Ryoma and Scarlet made their way into the battle.
"Don't worry, Yukimura, I have returned!" Ryoma cried out before taking down a Nohrian soldier.
Yukimura smiled. "Lord Ryoma!"
Ryoma sighed. "Two down...you up for more, Scarlet?"
Scarlet slightly grinned. "Oh, you bet I am!"

Yukimura sighed. "Lord Ryoma! I'm so glad that you've returned unharmed!"
Ryoma nodded in agreement. "It's good to be back. I'm sorry that you had to take care of everything for so long."
Scarlet then spoke up. "Hey, those glasses of yours are pretty sharp! Any chance you could tell me where I could get a pair?"
Yukimura glared at her. "What? Who are you?"
Ryoma slightly chuckled to himself. "Ah. I've forgotten to introduce her. This is Scarlet. She was part of a Nohrian-resistance group in Cheve, where we met. She's returned with me to lend a hand. Some of her fighters have come, as well. They'll help defend Castle Shirasagi."
Scarlet smiledx obviously upbeat. "Glad to meet you!"
Yukimura nodded. "Ah, yes...the pleasure is all mine."
"By the way, Yukimura," Ryoma said with a sigh. "I ran into Kai in Nestra."
Yukimura seemed surprised by his comment. "Lady Kai was able to make it all the way there?"
Ryoma nodded. "Indeed. She asked me to join her in trying to end the fighting."
Yukimura sighed as he crossed his arms. "Hm...she told me the same at Fort Jinya. On top of that, she told me to meet her at the Bottomless Canyon before the skies over Hoshido and Nohr change color. She also claimed there was more, but for some reason, she wasn't able to share it with me."
Ryoma closed his eyes. "Hm...she told us the same thing...I don't think it's in Kai's nature to lie. And there's a leadership quality that she has. It just keeps attracting followers. In fact, I remember being jealous as a child. Even at a young age, she showed great characteristics of being a ruler. Silly to be jealous of her, right?"
Scarlet sighed. "Lord Ryoma..."
"I wonder if that played a part in my transgression against her," Ryoma said as he crossed his arms.
Scarlet gave him a look. "What do you mean?"
Ryoma sighed before speaking. "The day Kai was kidnapped...I was there. If I was stronger, I could've protected her, but I failed. I couldn't be sure I tried my hardest...because of that jealousy."
Yukimura shook his head. "You mustn't feel that way! It's impossible to think that you could've changed the outcome of that day."
Ryoma sighed. "I know, Yukimura. But I need to make up for it. I..I need to show Kai that I care. That I can protect her. I'm going to the Bottomless Canyon."
"Ryoma," Scarlet said with a smile. "I won't ask you to explain any further. But...if you are gonna go and fight with Kai, I'll join you.
"Thank you, Scarlet," Ryoma responded with a smile.

Almost as soon as Scarlet was done talking, Hinoka went over to the three.
"Hello, Ryoma," she said with a smile.
Ryoma nodded at his younger sister. "Hinoka. I see you've done an excellent job in protecting the castle. I know I just arrived, but I must leave again. Kai needs my help at the Bottomless Canyon. I want you to stay here and contin-"
Hinoka cut him off. "No, Ryoma. I'm going with you this time."
Ryoma slightly raised an eyebrow, confused. "...what?"
Hinoka sighed. "I heard you talking to Yukimura. I also feel responsible for Kai's kidnapping. It's why I decided to learn how to use a naginata, remember?"
Ryoma sighed. "Of course I remember."
"I can't even begin to explain how bad I felt. I had the same thoughts you did. Then when she decided not to side with either kingdom...I felt so betrayed. We'd just gotten Kai back, and she was already turning on us. I was so shocked by her choice, I again couldn't change a thimg," Hinoka said before getting a bit closer to Ryoma. "But I've had plenty of time to think, and now I know for sure- I'm going 5o help her. I want Kai to know that I believe in her. As her older sister, I want to be with her until the end."
Ryoma slightly chuckled. "Somehow, I'm not surprised by that. Sorry, Yukimura. Looks like you'll be handling the castle's defenses on your own."
"Heh," Yukimura said with a slight smirk. "You all cause nothing but trouble. I will look over the castle while you are gone, Lord Ryoma."
Hinoka smiled. "Thank you, Yukimura!"
"However, I have one stipulation," Yukimura said. "You aren't allowed to complain if the castle isn't exactly the same when you return. No harm shall befall the throne room, of course. But I can't be sure that the bedrooms, especially yours," he said, glancing at Hinoka, "won't be blown to bits. Anything can happen in war, after all."
"O-of course," Hinoka said, biting her lip.
"You must also promise me that you will retuen safely. Hoshido needs its royal family," Yukimura added on.
"Of course, Yukimura," Hinoka said with a smile.
"You have my thanks, Yukimura. I promise we will come back," Ryoma said with a slight nod.
Yukimura smiled. "Then I wish you good hunting."
Ryoma nodded. "We have to go. The skies are going to change soon!"

===

We had all arrived at the Lava Fields, which was right by the Bottomless Canyon, and to my disappointment, it seemed as if we were the only ones there.
Takumi, who was by my side, let out a sigh. "Looks like neither Ryoma nor Prince Xander were swayed to join us."
Camilla shook her head. "Let's not give up yet. We still have some time before the skies change color."
Azura shook her head with a sigh. "But it still isn't a lot of time. It's getting harder and harder to tell the difference between the two skies."
Sakura then looked up at the sky with wonder. "I never knew this is what it looked like when the skies changed..."
I then looked around, feeling a bit uneasy. "I feel like someone is coming..."
Just then, some Nohrian troops came into sight.

I growled once I spotted their leader, Hans. "It's Hans! And he has an army with him!"
Takumi slightly growled as well, tightening his grip on my hand. "So instead of getting Prince Xander's cooperation, we get an assault!"
"I can't believe he would do this!" Camilla said as she shook her head in disbelief.
I sighed. "This...is this your answer, Xander?"
Azura then looked at me. "Listen, Kai. You have to stay strong. We can't lose here. If we do, everything we've done up until now would've been for nothing."
Just then, a small group of Nohrian soldiers rushed forwards at us, and Takumi quickly looked at me with a nod before going over to Camilla to help her fight off the Nohrians.

I then heard someone who sounded like...Ryoma?
"Don't get any closer! I won't let you lay a finger on my sister!"
Sure enough, I saw Ryoma rush at Nohrian soldier, with Hinoka close behind.
"What the?!" I called out in surprise.
Not long after my siblings had come onto the battlefield, Scarlet came on, along with two other people I didn't recognize.
Ryoma then smiled as he walked over to me. "Sorry that I kept you waiting, Kai."
Hinoka nodded in agreement. "Mhm. We've come to help you guys!"
I smiled and gently put my arm around Takumi's waist, as he had returned to my side. "I'm so glad that you all came!"
Sakura smiled, slightly giggling. "A-aming! Even Hinoka is here!"
Takumi smiled. "Now that all of us siblings are together, there's no way that we can lose!"
The male that I didn't know then spoke up. "I apologize for interrupting this reunion, Lady Hinoka...but you forgot to introduce us."
Ryoma then noticed what Takumi and I were doing, and gave us an odd look, but I mouthed 'later' to him, and he nodded, getting the message.
I then turned my attention to the man. "And you are...?"
He smiled. "I am Azama. If you are injured in battle, I can heal you."
The female then did a slight bow. "Um...I'm Setsuna. I'm good with...a bow. ...Azama...you're standing on my foot."
Azama slightly chuckled as he righted himself. "Oh! My apologizes!"
Hinoka slightly sighed. "As Azama said, these two are my retainers. They always come through when I need them," she said with a smile. "I'm so glad I'm finally with you, Kai. I'm happy that we can fight side by side again."
"We don't have time for a tearful reunion," Ryoma said with a sigh. "We need to get into position!"
With a nod, we did so and started to make our way through the Nohrian troops.
It took some time, but we were able to defeat Hans and his army.

I sighed, putting my hand on Takumi's shoulder, out of breath. "We did it...the battle is over..."
Azura shook her head. "I'm afraid not, Kai. Look over there."
I grit my teeth and looked where Azura had told me to. "What?! More troops?! And is...that's Iago!! God damn it! Why did they send him after us as well?!"