Chapter 10: Delusions of a Peaceful Kingdom

About a day later, we arrived in Izumo.
I looked at the palace that was in the distance. "So, that's the central palace. There's something...calming about it."
Azura sighed. "Izumo has long been known as the kingdom of the gods. It only makes sense that the center of its power would radiate peace. It has always maintained a neutral stance. Let's find the archduke."

A man, who I assumed was the archduke, then approached us. "I am Archduke Izana, first heir to the divine bloodline, descendant of the gods...keeper of prophecies, and winner of best hair...what, five or six times? Ugh, I forget. Anyways, it's so nice to finally meet you! Now you can kick back and relax! Izumo is a wonderful place. You could stay here forever!"
I scratched my head. "Um...thanks for such a warm greeting..."
Izana smiled. "Oh, it's nothing! You know, I'm really glad you came! I rarely have company. I'm so excited, I hardly feel like myself!"
Hayato shook his head. "I don't understand...why is he being so informal? Is this how all major leaders are supposed to behave?"
Sakura shook her head. "N-no...they don't all normally act this way. He's just...a special case."
I then spoke up. "Pardon me, Archduke- we were actually came here to ask you some questions."
"Oh? What about? Ask away my friends! If you've got any gossip to share, I'd gladly listen!"
"We were actually wondering if you could share what you know about the Seal of Flames."
Izana crossed his arms. "Huh? The Seal of Flames? That sounds pretty boring to me...I don't remember dull things."
I scratched my head. "Hold on a second...are you sure you don't know anything about the Seal of Flames? The fate of the world may hang in the balance."
Izana slightly growled. "I said I've never heard of it!"
Gunter then approached him. "Of course you haven't, you imposter!"
Izana slightly recoiled. "What? I'm not an imposter!"
Gunter shook his head. "Don't play coy with me. It's plain to see you're hiding behind a magical disguise. Reveal yourself!"
Izana slightly jumped. "Ah! Gunter, you're no fun at all!"
Just then, Izana was replaced with a mage I didn't recognize.

He grinned. "Eeheehee! It's been awhile, hasn't it?"
Gunter growled. "Zola- I knew it was you behind this magic!"
I looked at Gunter. Um, who's this?"
Gunter sighed. "This cretin is a Nohrian mage. He specializes in illusions and deception."
"Then...where is the real archduke?!"
Zola grinned. "I'm afraid it's off to jail for him- the clink, the slammer, the cooler. Oooh, the cooler! That reminds me- it's time to make use of King Garon's ice bomb! Everyone, fire! ...hehe, fire the ice bomb!"
I then gripped my sword. "Get ready!"

Azura looked around the now-frozen town. "It's incredible...they've done something to encase the entire town in ice. We'll have to break through. The enemy is probably using the ice as a cover! Be careful!"
It took some time, but we were able to defeat Zola.

I sighed, tightly gripping my sword. "We've won. You can't escape now, Zola! Tell us where the archduke is!"
Zola grinned. "You really thought it was going to be that easy? What a naive little girl you are. I always have an escape plan!"
Before I even had time to react, Zola grabbed Sakura, which caused her to squirm in his grip.
"Heh! Look at my and my adorable little hostage!"
Sakura was slightly shaking. "K-Kai...p-please help me!!"
I growled. "Zola, let her go, now! Are you really stooping this low?! Do the honorable thing and let her go!"
Zola retorted at my comment. "Pfffft to your honor! I'd rather win than be honorable! Now, put down your weapons. If you don-"
He was cut off as a powerful magic attack killed him, which luckily left Sakura unscathed.
I then recognized the magic. "It can't be..." I mumbled to myself.
Sure enough, Leo soon approached me. "You were the lowest of the low, Zola...hiding behind hostages- you disgraced the entire Nohrian army."

I then slightly smiled. "Thanks for saving Sakura back there, Leo."
His only response was the closing of Brynhildr.
I sighed. "Leo, will you join us? We could use your aid in the battles ahead. I mean, I'm not going to fight with Nohr; I've learned of a dire truth."
Leo gave me a skeptical look. "What are you talking about?"
I slightly hesitated, but sheathed the Yato as I spoke. "After I refused to side with either kingdom, I learned that King Garon...he is being manipulated by someone."
"What? How do you know this?"
I then paused for a moment, composing myself. "Listen carefully. He didn't want to start a war with Hoshido. He's being controlled by our real enemy- someone hiding behind the scenes. This invisible foe is who we should really be after!"
Leo nodded. "I see. Well then, tell me who is pulling the strings. Name the manipulator!"
I slightly bit my tongue. "I'm sorry, Leo...I can't say who it is."
He shook his head. "Why am I not surprised...I don't know why I even bothered wasting my time with you."
"Leo! Wait!" I cried out. "I can't say anything now, but-"
He cut me off. "You're a traitor! I don't want to hear your excuses."
"Leo...please listen to me!"
As we were now inside the palace, I really had nowhere to run and hide as Leo opened Brynhildr. "Let me make this as clear as I can. You have abandoned our family. I no longer think of you as my sister. I only came here to take care of Zola. We will settle our differences at a later time."
He then casted Brynhildr at me, but it landed behind me.
"Agh!"
Azura then looked at me, somewhat concerned. "Kai!"
I sighed. "I'm fine, Azura. I don't think he was actually aiming at me," I said before glancing behind me. "the door to that banquet hall has seen better days, though."
Leo sighed as he closed the ancient tome. Go on, Kai. The real archduke should be inside...along with that pathetic Hoshidan prince, Takumi."
I slightly gasped. "What? Do you mean-"
Before I could even finish my sentence, Leo abruptly left without a word.
"Wait! Leo!" I called out. "...Leo..."
Before I even had the chance to chase after him, Sakura ran over to me.
"K-Kai! The banquet hall is filled with people! A-and they're all tied up!"
I sighed. "You can't be serious!"
I then followed her in.

I spotted who I assumed to be the real Izana. "You're here! You're here! You've finally come to rescue me! I'm absolutely starving! My tummy has been rumbling for hours now!"
I slightly scratched my head. "Um, are you truly the archduke of Izumo?"
He nodded. "Of course! That's me! Archduke Izana, first heir to the divi-"
I cut him off. "Oh, sorry, Archduke, but we've kinda already heard all of this..."
"Even the part about my hair?"
"...yes."
"Awww..."
Sakura then spoke up. "H-he's even more informal than the imposter..."
"Ah! The fair Princess Sakura! I believe your brother is around here somewhere. He was left in the same condition I was," Izana responded, slightly glancing around.
Sakura gasped. "T-Takumi is really here?"

I then spotted him, and I don't know why, but I was really happy to see him again. It had been maybe a week since I'd last seen him, but I was still really happy. I wanted to go and talk to him, but something was telling me that I shouldn't...at least not yet.
Sakura spoke up. "Takumi! I'm so glad you're safe!"
He was obviously surprised to see Sakura. "Sakura? And... Kai, as well as Azura. What are you doing here with them?"
"I decided to fight with Kai."
"What?! Sakura, how could you turn against Hoshido?! ...dammit. Ryoma isn't going to like this at all...he's going to be devastated..."
I could tell that Sakura was going to speak up, but I cut her off and spoke up first. "Takumi. I need you to listen to me. I have no intentions to fight against Hoshido. There's something worse than Nohr's aggression going on right now. I can't get into details, but I need you to trust me!"
Takumi sighed as I finally knelt next to him and began to untie the ropes that were binding him, which I was doing pretty quickly. "Hmph...you'll have to excuse me if I don't find this flimsy explanation acceptable. I just don't"
"I see," I said with a sigh as I finished untying him.
Izana, who was also untied, spoke up. "Nonononono! Ahh, this won't do! You've got it wrong, Prince Takumi!"
He gave Izana a skeptical look. "...what in the name of the gods are you talking about?"
"I'm not going into details, but you need to follow Kai. The gods just gave me some prophetic stuff about it!" Izana exclaimed.
Takumi sighed. "Huh? Something prophetic? I can't believe that important prophecies just...happen all of the sudden like that."
Izana crossed his arms. "Hey, who's the keeper of prophecies here, you or me? They come as they come. Would you really ignore directions from the gods?"
Takumi sighed as I handed him the Fujin Yumi. "How can I chose to side with someone who refuses to side with her homeland?"
Izana sighed. "I don't like breaking out the big bows, but Prince Takumi, that's just what you'll get."
He then began to channel energy, and cleared his throat. "Everything is not yet seen... The truth is far and hidden low. They are upon the water's surface, he who knows all is the true foe ... phew. See? Princess Kai is not your enemy."
Takumi sighed. "Then who is it?"
I shook my head. "I can't explain now, but what Archduke Izana says is true. We actually came to find a way to defeat our foe."
Izana spoke up. "Oh! That's right. You were going to ask me about the Seal of Flames. Sorry, but I don't know anything about it."
"Um...how did you know?"
Izana sighed. "Premonitions! Prophecies! Haven't you been paying attention? My family has a saying that's been passed down for a long time. We will show she who shuns the light and dark another way. So, there you have it!"
Azura looked at him. "What does that mean? Is Kai the one that's spoken about?"
Izana nodded. "I think so! Thus, I need to show you a new path. If you excuse me, I'll go hold a little ceremony and ask an ancient god for help."
I slightly scratched my head. "Um...you mean right now?"
"Yep!" Izana said with a smile on his face, "I want to get this ceremony over with in any case. Ancient gods aren't exactly easy on the eyes," he finished saying before leaving.
I then looked over at Takumi. "Hey, can I talk to you?"
He sighed. "What do you want."
"Look. I'm sorry we got off on a bad foot."
"And? Like an apology means anything to me. Forget it. I still don't trust you."

Before I could respond, Izana came back. "S-sorry to have...kept you waiting..."
I slightly gasped. "Archduke! What's wrong?!"
He slightly smiled. "I had a chat...with an ancient god...it was so short... 'Go and meet the dragon.'"
I sighed. "A dragon?"
"I'm sure you'll figure it out. After all, I think I may- owww ow ow...yup, definitely gave my life for the message."
He then fell to the floor, and I was right there to catch him.
I shook my head. "H-how did this happen?"
Izana closed his eyes. "Well, the ceremony always has a price. This time, it was my life. Oh, Prince Takumi...I know I asked you before, but...make sure you help Kai...there's a lot in store for you..."
Takumi sighed. "...alright."
Izana then went limp in my arms, a smile still on his face. I gently set him down, and got up.
Before I could even justify what I was doing, I had my face buried in Takumi's chest, crying.
"Sister? Are you okay?"
"Y-yeah...I'm sorry..."
He smiled, gently rubbing my back. "It's fine...you just surprised me, that's all."
We then stood there for a moment in each other's embrace.