Chapter 24: Seeds of Doubt

Since it was the middle of the day, we decided to continue on, and after walking for a bit, we came across an area that was made up of...floating islands?
Anthony sighed. "Alright. We'll have to get through this area in order to reach the castle."
Elise slightly gasped. "H-hold on! Why are there floating islands?!"
Camilla looked around, also curious. "Now, that is very interesting. In that case, we can use those bridges to corss between the floating islands," Camilla said as she pointed to the various bridges that were scattered about.
Sakura then spoke up, clearly concerned. "Th-those bridges look o-old...you don't think they'll break, d-do you...?"
Anthony shook his head. "Nope. This is the way that I came from the castle. We'll be alright...probably."
Hinoka slightly glared at him. "Probably? Ugh, you do know that isn't very encouraging, right? It looks like there are enemies stationed along the way as well," Hinoka said with an annoyed sigh.
Takumi, who was by my side, slightly tightened his grip on my hand. "But...it's the only way to get to the castle...we'll have to move forward."
"If it'll make you feel better, I'll cross first..." Anthony said with a sigh before running across the bridge.
Takumi tried to go after him, but I had to hold him back.
Leo sighed. "...alright. Let's cross."

We all then began to cross the bridge. Everyone but Takumi and myself, had made it across the bridge when it started to collapse.
I picked up my pace, and by the time I had gotten across, the bridge had completely collapsed.
I quickly turned around, and I saw that Takumi was hanging from the edge.
"Hey! A little help here?!" he cried out.
I quickly dropped to my knees, and grabbed his hand, and helped him up, and slightly walked away from the ledge. "Are you okay, Takumi?" I asked as a embraced him in a hug.
He nodded, and I could feel him slightly trembling. "Y-yeah...thanks, Kai."
I smiled and gently kissed him. "Not a problem. Actually, you know, I could tell that almost falling to, well, death, scared you pretty good."
"...and why might that be?" Takumi asked, giving me an odd look.
"You've been shaking ever since I pulled you up from the ledge. And I know you only do that when you're really scared, nervous, or even unsure about something," I said with a slight smirk.
Takumi then went into a full-out blush, and elbowed me in the stomach. "K-Kai!"
I slightly grunted, due to the fact that he hit me in the stomach, but I then slightly ruffled his hair. "C'mon, Takumi. You know I was messing with you," I said as I broke away from him.
He slightly grumbled. "Yeah, yeah...I know. It still annoyed me, though. So please don't do it again."
I slightly giggled. "Alright. But no promises, okay?"
"Alright," he mumbled.
Anthony then spoke up. "Wow...that would've been a long drop..."
Xander gave him an odd look. "That's what you say? How can you be so calm about this?! ...we need to have a talk. Right now."
However, before Anthony had the chance to respond, a couple of enemy soldiers started to approach us.
Azura sighed. "Hold on to that thought, Xander. The enemy is approaching. Kai, everyone- prepare for battle!"
I nodded and we did just that.

We had had just gotten to the island the boss was on, and Takumi suddenly stopped in his tracks.
"Nnnngh," he groaned as he tightly grabbed my arm.
I looked at him, very concerned. "Takumi? Are you okay?"
"Y-yeah," he said with a very hesitant nod. "D-damn...that Vallite swordsman got me good...the sword always t-trumps the bow...gyah....do you habe a concoction on you, K-Kai?"
"Yeah. Of course I do," I said as I quickly pulled one out of my leather pouch that I carried.
Then without a word or warning, je snatched it from my hand, and uncapped it before gulping it down.
I sighed. "Takumi...are you sure you're feeling okay?"
As he was still holding on to my hand, I felt him start to shake, just as he had on the the bridge, not even two hours earlier. "I-I'm not sure, K-Kai..."
I then took him in my arms and sat down. "Xander! Ryoma!" I called out. "Take care of the boss- and be quick! I...something's wrong with Takumi!"
"You can count on us, Little Princess!" Xander called back.
"Indeed. Focus on Takumi for now," Ryoma added on.
Leo then came over to the two of us, mounted on horseback. "Kai. Help me get Takumi on my horse. That way we can, ah, transport him easily."
With a nod, I helped him do just that.

After the battle was over, it was nearing night time, and we quickly found the prefect place to set up camp, so we did just that.
I was inside one of the tents, the one which we decided would be the medical tent, and Takumi was on the ground, resting.
I looked over at Azura, who was tending to the wound on Takumi's torso. It took a lot of strength and effort to not look directly at the it, as the location of the wound reminded me too much of what had happened the other day. It was at that moment that I realized that ever since I'd gotten involved with the war...my whole life had become so hectic, I barely had any free time. Of course, the night before the nightmare incident had happened was hectic, but...that was something between Takumi and myselfi then spoke up. "Azura...is...Tamumi's going to be okay, right?"
She nodded. "Yes. Hs should be fine after a good rest tonight. Honestly, I he was going to be fine, even without that concoction."
Then with a groan, Takumi began to stir. "Urgh...Kai...?"
I smiled and leaned over and kissed him. "Yeah, it's me, Takumi. How...how are you feeling right now?"
"A bit better, I guess," he said as I helped him sit up.
Azura then spoke up. "Takumi, can you remind me which herb your allergic to? I'm pretty sure I remember, but I want to make sure."
"Yeah. It's bitterweed," he responded with a sigh.
Azura smiled. "Alright. That's what I thought it was. Anyways, Kai," she said as she handed me a small bowl that had a greenish herbal mix in it. "Can you apply this to his wound? It's a mix of herbs that should help with the healing."
I nodded and applied it to the wound. He winced and tightly grabbed my hand, and I gently rubbed it, trying to keep him calm.
Once the herbal mix was in place, Azura covered the wound with a cloth, and wrapped it around, helping it stay in place.