I missed them.

          An unexpected knock at the door made me snap my head up.

          Logan walked in with a bouquet of flowers in his hand and a ceramic bowl in another.

          "Hey, did you know the front door was left—"

          When his eyes landed on me, the soft smile on his face instantly fell.

          "Woah, woah," He set the things down on my dresser and walked over and sat beside me, gently brushing my hair from my face and wiping my tears away with the pads of his thumbs. "What's wrong?"

           He looked down at the picture in my hands. His lips parted in realization and his eyes lingered on my parents. He glanced back up at me with cautious eyes.

          "Is that them?"

          I nodded. "That was our house."

          I stared down at the picture along with him for a moment in silence until I finally placed it on the bed and pushed it away.

          "Logan," I started. My eyes became glassy as I looked up at him. He scooted closer to me and placed a gentle hand on my cheek to soothe me.

           "You don't have to talk about it."

          "I just think I should be honest with you. I've spent so much time hiding the truth, and I don't want to hide anymore." I explained. "Not from you."

          "Okay," he smiled at me softly and nodded for me to continue.

          "It's taken me.. a long time to come to terms with what happened. With my ex-boyfriend and the people who used to be my friends and especially my parents. I've held on to the memory of them for so long that.. saying exactly how I feel about you will be like finally letting go." I explained. "But I'm so scared of leaving them behind for good. I know that's what I need and it probably doesn't even make any sense.. But I just need a little bit more time, and I promise I'll be ready. Please, just wait for me. Okay?"

          Logan's face in that moment was as handsome as ever. He looked at me in a way that the love he said he had for me was suddenly obvious. His gaze was serious at first, but then a small smile seemed to make its way across his lips. He leaned forward and slowly edged closer to me. Taking my face in his hands, a wave of relief and security passed through me. He pulled himself to me and kissed me softly, like it was our first kiss.

          He always knew what to say or do at just the right time. And sometimes, his actions spoke louder than words, and could convey what he couldn't possibly express.

          This was one of those times.

          Logan got sick after that.

          I felt guilty even though he claimed it wasn't because we kissed and shared close contact, but I knew it was case, and what was even more embarrassing—Emmie knew it, too.

          "Flowers?" Emmie had asked when she came into my room that night. She turned to look at me. "And soup?"

          I peeked up from the bowl Logan brought me and smiled sheepishly. Caught.

          A sly smile spread across her face slowly. She crossed her arms and leaned against the door frame. "There better not have been any kissing. And if he gets sick, we'll all know who passed it on."