26

Chapter Twenty-Six

"Do you wanna come over? My mom is actually being a productive parent and working today, so we'd have the house to ourselves." Faith said as we walked down the crowded school hallway. It was the end of the day and everyone was pushing and shoving, everyone trying to make it through the doors first. I glanced at her, wanting to tell her to give her mother a chance and try to make things right with her, but it was a touchy subject and I knew better than to say anything about it.

"Yeah, of course." I grinned. Faith smiled in content and looped her arm through mine.

We walked to the parking lot arm-in-arm to her car, where I slid into the passenger's seat. She started the car, pulling out of the parking space and drove out onto the street. With music blaring from the radio, it was no wonder we received weird looks from the people driving next to us when they saw us bobbing our heads to the beat and singing along to Problem by Ariana Grande.

We arrived at Faith's house, leaving our backpacks and shoes in a heap beside the door and making our way into the kitchen.

"Hungry?" Faith asked as she opened the refrigerator and glanced at me with an expectant smile on her face.

Leaning on the kitchen island behind her, I frowned and asked, "Is that even a question?"

She laughed and opened the freezer, her eyes lighting up instantly. With a silly little grin plastered on her lips, she pulled out a box of frozen pizza. She held it up for me to see and wiggled her eyebrows. I laughed at her reaction because all I could think was me. After she placed the pizza into the oven, we went up to her room to distract ourselves while we waited for our food. She flopped onto her bed, while I sat in her desk chair.

"So," she started with a teasing tone laced in her voice, "anything new going on in your life?"

"Nope." I said, spinning around in the chair carelessly.

"Nothing's happened with lover boy?" She questioned with a smirk.

I shook my head and kept an emotionless expression as my chair spun. "Nothing at all."

"Really?" She pushed.

"Positive."

"Bull," She deadpanned, gaining my attention. I stopped the chair mid-spin and look over at her. "Something happened and you're keeping it from me."

"How would you know that?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"Because normally you're all giddy and girly at the mention of his name and you'd want to talk about Logan for the rest of the day." She cocked an eyebrow. "But now, you aren't giddy or girly, and you're trying to avoid talking about him because something happened."

I pressed my lips together and looked down at my feet, chewing the inside of my cheek nervously.

"He doesn't like me." I shrugged, attempting to be nonchalant about the situation, when really my conscience was bawling.

"How would you know? Why wouldn't he—"

"He told me." My voice was quiet.

"What?" I heard the disappointment in her voice.

"Yeah," I nodded, "we were just driving in the car the other day and out of nowhere he apologized for that little moment we had that day after his mom invited me over for dinner – you know, the one you had to ruin by opening the door." I added in, teasingly. She cracked a smile, but she didn't say anything as waiting for me to go on. "He said that he didn't know why he did anything. He said that he didn't do it because – and I quote – he likes me – because he doesn't. He just didn't know what came over him, and promised that he wouldn't do it again."