Chapter Sixteen

I'm curled into the fetal position; protecting my head and stomach from a blow that I know isn't coming. For some reason I was expecting to land in the inky black tar of the dark lake, but as soon as my bare feet came in contact with splintery wood, I knew that I had just landed on the balcony of dreams once more. But this time is different. This time; I'm alone.

"Why'd he change? Why'd he change? Why'd he change?" I find myself chanting over and over again, as if I'm expecting someone to eventually answer. "Where did he go?"

My arms are wrapped around my legs and I'm lying on my side as if I really did fall through the floor and into this sky. My entire body is shaking with relentless waves of shivers, the cold streams trailing down my spine and to the tips of my fingers. The air around me seems to be warm, but the heat is refusing to sink into my chilled skin. I don't know what's going on.

"Bring him back," I speak to this sky. "I'll let him go; I promise. Just not yet."

I'm not ready to.

The words flowing from my lips feel foreign and sour to the taste, and the heavy sensation in my chest makes me feel like I'm not even the one who is pushing them out. Someone inside of me is causing these words to spill out, but I don't know how to stop them.

"I will distance myself from him; I will!" The scar on my right hand tingles. "I...I refuse to get hurt by him!"

They're not making any sense; the words. I am the one speaking them, but I have yet to decipher their meaning. My mouth is opening and closing without my vocal cord's consent.

"Beautiful things leave first," I close my eyes while the words spew. "The loveliest flowers in the garden will always get picked first, and I will get picked last. I will remain in the garden until new lovely flowers grow."

I don't want to open my eyes anymore.

"I will remain in the garden..."

...

"I will remain in the garden!"

I shoot up from the couch and the cool washcloth that was draped over my forehead slides to the floor with a wet plop. My Nite, who was apparently holding my hand as I slept, jumps back from my sudden outburst and bangs his head against the table. His eyes are wide and full of fear, but they're no longer cloudy and alien like they were before. They're back to their deep purple-black color.

He's back.

"What garden?!" His voice is frantic and confused.

"I..."

I press my fingers to my temples, squeezing to get rid of the dull throb that has found a home there. At the back of my skull I find a rather large knot, probably from when I fell, and wince when I accidently press down too hard. Nite sees my discomfort and takes my hands away.

"I don't know," I finish, mind swimming.

Nite furrows his brows. "You must've hit your head much too hard. Stay here; I'll go grab some things."

I watch as his skinny legs shuffle around until he exits the room. I can't help but notice that he has draped a soft blanket over my shivering form and propped a pillow up behind my throbbing head. He has even pushed a pair of fluffy socks over my cold feet and has set Widget at the head of the couch so she can watch over me. Her large green eyes gaze down at me as my heart swells with a feeling that I can't quite define. It makes me warm all over.

Smiling softly to myself, almost forgetting what just happened immediately, I reach up and play with Widget's paw as she playfully tries to nibble on my fingers. The fireplace makes crackling noises in the corner, and I wonder why Nite made a fire when I know he gets so hot in the daytime is it is. He must be sweeting like crazy, but the fact that he made it to warm me up causes a slight blush to rise to my cheeks.