Chapter7

We landed at the camp. Just like Peter guessed, the boys were back from whatever they were doing. I got off Peter's back.
"Boys!"
All off them looked at Pan.
"Let's practice some archery."
All of them got their own bow and arrows. I smiled in excitement. Peter handed me a bow and a quiver full of arrows. I put the quiver on... upside down. All of the arrows fell out. I heard a few laughs coming from some of the boys, but I didn't look up to see who.

I collected all the arrows and put them back in the quiver. Then I put it on the right way this time. I grabbed an arrow and the bow. I tried to figure out how to hold it properly by watching the other boys shoot.

Yep, I don't understand this. I searched the campsite for Peter. I found him.

"Peter!"
He jogged over where I was.
"What?"
"How do you do this?"
I asked, trying to set the arrow.
"First off the bow is backwards."
He grabbed it out of my hands and flipped it around. He grabbed my hand and placed it on the grip part of the bow.
"Your hand goes here."

He didn't move his hand off mine. He wrapped his other arm around me and grabbed my hand that was holding the arrow. He placed my fingers on the arrow the right way, keeping his hand on mine. His arms were around me and his face was pressed up against mine as he concentrated on the target. he pulled my hand to pull back the arrow.

"Steady," he whispered. "Release."
I let go of the arrow and it hit the bullseye of the target. We both smiled.
"Now try it on your own," he said, removing his arms from around me. He watched me as I tried setting. I was shaking a bit out of nervousness, but I did it.
"Good, now concentrate."

I stared at my target. I let the arrow fly. It miss the target by a foot. I tried a second arrow.
"Take your time," he advised.
I let the arrow fly. I hit the outer ring.

"Better, you can do this, try again."

I concentrated on the target. I inhaled and exhaled deeply. I let the third arrow fly. It hit the bullseye! I jumped up and down and squealed. I wrapped my arms around peters neck in a hug. He wrapped his arms around my waist.
"Thank you," I pulled away.
"Sorry about that," I said realising what I had done.
"No problem, I actually enjoyed the hug." he smiled.
I blushed and continued practicing.

*******************

I was actually good at archery. The rest of my arrows hit the target. It was better than them flying anywhere else. I like living here. I only have two friends but that's better than none. I was feeling better about myself. I started talking to the other lost boys more. They were fun to talk to. They were a little sexist at first but now they're treating me like one of them.

The rest of the day, we sat around and talked. I was actually enjoying myself. I didn't get that chance back where I came from. Peter disappeared like yesterday, but I didn't mind this time. I still kinda missed him though.

I had other people to talk to. I'm actually opening up to them. Peter was late coming back so I decided to cook for them. The boys went out hunting and brought back a pig. They gutted and cleaned it before giving it to me. Thank God they did because I wouldn't be able to kill anything and I would pass out if I had to clean it up myself.

I could've wished for food but I wanted to embrace this camping out experience. I cut the pig meat into thick slabs and fried it in a skillet. The boys lined up and I handed them their plates. When I was done, I made myself a plate and stood up. Then someone wrapped their arms around my waist from behind. He then rested his chin on my shoulder.

"Missed you," I recognized Peter's mumble.
He was warm. He let go and I turned around, handing him my plate.
"Looks good," he said, observing the food. I made myself another plate. We both sat next to each other on the log. We talked about what we should do tomorrow. When I finished eating, I went to go bathe. By the time I came back Peter was still sitting on the log again like yesterday.
"Thinking?"
"Yeah"
I sat next to him. Our knees touched, but I didn't move mine and he didn't move his. We looked up at the stars and drew out constellations and talked for about an hour.

"Well I'm gonna go to sleep, goodnight."
"Night"

I walked into my tent. Today was great. I wore shorts and a tank top to sleep in, it was warm tonight. I fell fast asleep.

***********
I was sitting in a car seat.
"I'm too old for this seat. I'm a big girl now."
My mom laughed. "I guess you are, little miss six year old."
I had turned six two weeks ago and I guess it finally clicked.

"So can I get out of it?" I asked.
"Not right now, we're driving."
It was pouring rain outside. We were on our way back home from the movie theaters. You could hardly see through the windshield, it was so blurry.

I wasn't scared, me being six, thought that my parents were super heroes and we could never get hurt. All of a sudden the car in front of us stops in the middle of an intersection. The traffic intersecting our path light turned green. There was a red car speeding down the street as if our car was invisible. The impact hit us hard. I remember feeling so much pain in my chest from the seatbelt, but I was okay, thanks to the car seat.

I checked on my parents.
"Are you guys okay?"
No answer. My heart that had started to slow down, started to speed back up. I unhooked myself and got out of the car seat. I shook my mom.
"Come on, wake up"
I shook my dad.
"You guys can sleep at home. Wake up so we can get there."
Still no response. I looked at both of them. They were bleeding from the glass that cut into their skin.
"Let's go home. We have band-aids at home. We can play doctor, you guys can be the patients."
They were still asleep. I shook them again. Tears started streaming my face.
"Mommy! Daddy! Wake up! I can help you feel better. Wake up! Stop sleeping! Let's go home. Please... Please, wake up."

***********

"Michele, wake up"
I was shaken awake by Peter.  I sat up quickly. My face felt wet, from tears. I wiped them off quickly.
"What's wrong?"
"Just a bad dream"
I was shaking. I felt the same feeling I felt when I realized they weren't going to wake up.

"I heard you screaming so I came to check on you"
"Thanks, but I'll be fine."
I laid down and turned, having my back facing him. When I thought he left, I let the tears I had held in for the past five minutes out. Then I felt the covers shift. I felt a new spurce of warmth. Peter had gotten in the bed with me. I turned around to face him. He pulled me closer to him. I laid my head on his chest and cried more. He wrapped his arm around me and stroked my hair with his other hand. Then he started to hum a sweet lullaby tune. My tears started to recede and I fell fast asleep.