Chapter5

I guess I make it obvious or this kid is very observant. He left to go talk to some of his other friends. I stayed there on the log. I stared at the picture one more time before stomping it out completely in anger. My mom was pretty, I'm not.

I looked up to see startled faces. Even Thomas. "Stop staring at me!" I yelled at them. I bet I was making the face that Thomas told me about, except meaner. I guess I blew my chance at making friends. They all looked away. They still snuck glances at me. I came here to have a new start and it's like everything followed me here. I could hear their whispers now.

"Hoe"
"She's so ugly."
"I can see why she doesn't have friends."
"No one loves her."
"Ew."
"She's anorexic."
All the whispers sounded like Cynthia's voice. These are some things I heard her say about me with her clique. Yep, I was going crazy. Even here Cynthia is trying to ruin my life. I hunched over, closed my eyes, and tried to block out the whispers.

They finally stopped when someone placed their hand on my shoulder. "You okay?"
I wiped my eyes before looking up to see Peter.
"Missed me that much?"
I chuckled. He sat down next to me.
"Did you make any friends while I was gone?"
"Thomas." I said nodding my head at the boy.
"He's a nice boy."
I nodded my head.
"Anyone else?"
"No."

He stood up, pulling me with him.
"Then let's go meet them."
He led me over to the biggest group of boys.
"Be a gentleman and introduce yourselves," he commanded them.
They all went around stating their names. I smiled.
"Now you don't look so mean." said one of them. I looked at him. He was smiling back at me. I looked back at the ground.

"Now that you've met more people. I can show you where you're staying."
He grabbed my hand and led me to a tent. It was like a small room. We walked inside. It was bigger on the inside than the outside and it was empty.
"Where's the furniture?"
"Another thing about Neverland, if you wish for something it comes true. Test it out."
I closed my eyes and wished for a bed.
I opened my eyes and there it was. It looked exactly how I pictured it in my mind.
"Cool!"
"I'll see you later."
He kissed my cheek and left the tent.
I could feel my face become warmer.

I wished for more furniture and created my dream room. I wonder if I could wish for electricity. Wait, no outlets. I got it. I wished for a solar powered charger to plug my iPod into. Great! Now I can listen to my music. I was feeling right at ho-. I forgot what that felt like. So I couldn't say that.

I laid on my bed and plugged my earphones into my phone. I played my entire playlist. I still had a few hours till dinner and I really didn't want to go back to that awkward camp ground. I'll see them at dinner and maybe I'll just talk to them then.

I turned on the tv and put the Lion King in the VCR. Yeah, they still have those. I've seen this movie so many times that I memorized every single word. The movie was finally over. It was dark outside and could smell the wood burning.

I walked over to my vanity mirror and sat down in the chair in front of it. I stared at the girl looking back at me. I could see my mom. I started to sing the chorus of Pretty Hurts by Beyonce.

"Pretty hurts...we shine the light on whatever's worse. Perfection is a disease of a nation...Pretty hurts... we shine the light on whatever's worse. You're tryna fix something but you can't fix what you can't see. It's the soul that needs the surgery."

"Woah! you can sing!"
I jumped at the sudden outburst. I turned to face Thomas.
"Was I loud?"
"Kinda."
I must've forgot I'm not really alone.
"Did anyone else hear me?"
"I'm the only person around. everyone else is at the fire pit. Come on."

I stood up and followed Thomas out the tent. The fire was pretty. The flames flickered red, orange, and yellow as they danced on the log. Suddenly, the smell of food hit my nose. It smelled great. Everyone was already eating and I didn't want to walk in front of them to get myself some food. I just sat on a log away from everyone else, the one I sat on earlier.

I hugged my knees as I sat there. I looked up at the sky. The stars were twinkling against the dark blue sky. I could get used to a view like this. then someone sat on the log snapping me out of my gaze. It was Peter.
"Hungry," he asked, passing me a plate.
"Thanks"
"Beautiful isn't it?" he said looking up at the sky.
"Yeah" I said looking up too.
"Not as beautiful as you though" he said looking from the sky back at me. I blushed.
"You don't have to do that, I know I'm not pretty."
He elbowed me playfully.
"You may not think so but I do," he said smiling looking me straight in the eye. I averted my gaze to the ground. We sat there in silence. Then I thought of something.

"Wait why didn't you tell me about wishing for things when I was trying to set up my own camp?"
"If I told you then, then you wouldn't have come here."
I smiled. "yeah, well this is better than being alone."
"Yeah." he responded.
"So when are you going to teach me archery?"
"We can start tomorrow."
I smiled. "great!"

*****
If you haven't heard the song pretty hurts by Beyonce, you should listen to it. You can try finding it on YouTube or hear a sample of it on iTunes.
Thanks,
MsSterling