Michael knew that living together wouldn't be an issue if he dated Bruce. If anyone appreciated space, it was Bruce. Maybe if he and Bruce started dating, they could give each other some purpose. Maybe this time it could work.

Lying there in bed, Michael liked the feel of Bruce's big tree branch of an arm around him. He'd liked the sex too. It was better than it had been before. Everything flowed better. When Bruce fucked him, Michael actually enjoyed it. He didn't want it to go on forever, mind you. But it was fine while it lasted.

Michael wondered if potential happiness was right in front of him, or, rather, sleeping behind him. His mind was in the midst of conjuring a multitude of romantic scenarios—snowy weekend getaways, island vacations—when Bruce shifted slightly in his sleep. Michael felt Bruce lift his right leg slightly. Then he unleashed a long, thunderous fart—the sound and smell of which snapped Michael back to reality. He slipped out of bed, careful not to wake Bruce, gathered his clothes and quietly headed home.

#

Less than a mile away, in a dorm room at the Rhode Island School of Art and Design, Ziggy's iPhone vibrated on his nightstand. It was his mother.

"This is so not regulation," Ziggy answered, laying back on his bed.

"What?" Traci asked.

"This call," Ziggy said. "It's so off the books."

"What are you talking about."

"Remember, we agreed, no phone calls before 10."

"It's a quarter 'til."

"That wouldn't stand up in court." Ziggy said.

"Besides, I didn't expect you to answer," Traci said.

"Then why'd you call?" Ziggy asked, sitting up.

"I was worried. I called last night and you didn't answer and you didn't text"

"I know," Ziggy said. "I was at a club. It was totally embarrassing. Some guy was holding my phone when you called."

"Why was he holding your phone?" Traci asked.

"Because he was holding my pants." Ziggy explained.

"Why was he holding your pants?"

"It's a really long story." Ziggy sighed.

"I have time."

"Well, I don't. I have class in half an hour." He paused. "Or I could tell you the whole story, but then I'd have to skip class."

"You are ridiculous."

"Hold on for a moment," Ziggy said. Diego from the previous night's underwear contest walked in the room. He'd stayed over at Ziggy's and was returning from the bathroom.

"So, you found it O.K.?" Ziggy asked him.

"Who are you talking to?" Traci asked.

"What was your name again?" Ziggy asked the shirtless man in front of him.

"Diego," the guy said, scratching his balls.

"Diego," Ziggy said into the phone.

"Who is he?" Traci asked.

"Kind of a new friend," Ziggy said. He smiled at Diego and grasped one of his hands.

"The guy who was holding your pants?" Traci asked.

"No, that was a different guy."

Diego moved behind Ziggy on the twin bed and softly kissed his neck.

"Look, mom, I should probably..."

Diego kisses grew faster and he began circling Ziggy's nipples with his fingers.

"Um, I gotta call you back," Ziggy said to his mother, before quickly disconnecting.

He turned toward Diego, who wrapped his arms around Ziggy's thin waist.

"That was your mom?" Diego asked.

"Yeah," Ziggy said, burying his face in the crook of Diego's neck.

"You guy's close?" Diego asked, again running his fingers in circles around Ziggy's now-pointed nipples.

"You could say that," Ziggy said, almost whispering into Diego's ear.

"You close to your dad too?"

Ziggy shook his head. "You couldn't really say that."

"What happened?" Diego asked, his fingers briefly stopping their dance on Ziggy's chest.

Ziggy fell back on the bed. "It's kind of a long story and I have class in half an hour. So either I tell you all about my daddy issues or you can fuck me one more time?"

Diego flipped Ziggy onto his stomach and grabbed a condom from the nightstand.