Chapter 16

"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family."  ~ Jim Butcher

The sun was setting on cool Canadian landscape sucking all warmth with it. A brisk chill in the air turning breaths into small puffs of fog in front of Lilly as she instructed the pup in his wolf form how to stalk and move without making a sound. An impossible task, for the small pup had no sense of balance and struggled to not put to much weight on his feet often resulting in broken twigs. The sounds reverberating  around the silent forest.Cringing she nipped at the pups flank making him yip in frustration. Again 

After another twenty minutes of his failures she could not handle it any longer. Go inside and sleep you have class tomorrow. She motioned with her snout to go to the den. Head hung low he shifted and walked inside. Turning towards the forest she took off. He paws pounding the cold ground disturbing the leaves as she sped through the underbrush in a blur. Slowing to a trot she smelled the air scenting a small doe not to far from her. Taking off she traced it nose to the ground till she found it. Munching on some moss it stood oblivious to the predator watching it. Step by step Lilly inched closer careful of where she put each paw lest she tip off her prey. 

It swung its head up freezing testing the air with big lungfuls of air. Not wasting a second Lilly lept. Hitting the deer in its side she cut its life short in one expert bite and begun to tear into her meal.  It had been a while since she had been alone. She had a hard time tearing herself away from her pups. After the news from some of the scouts of strange wolves showing up only fifty mile away she struggled to not hover over her pups and shut them off from even the rest of the pack.  

They saw only twenty but she knew that meant more. The pack always sent its weakest first letting them set a pace. The Alpha and his warriors were always last. And from the scouts counts they had seen only Ze'Ev wolves. Which made her even more worried. 

Licking her lips she looked at Eric who stood a respectful distance off watching her. He would let her gorge herself on the whole deer without asking, he was a gentleman like that never pushy. She quickly motioned for him to join her. With a happy bark she watched as he came over to her brushing past her affectionately as he laid down next to her to join. 

How is his training he asked her.

Don't even ask she grumbled back rolling her eyes 

Laughing he licked her cheek and said He will get better just takes time

They sat in silence for a while the only sounds the ones of him licking at the bone of the deer. His silver colored fur shimmering in the moonlight. 

Lillys POV.....

Do we have a chance?  I asked him. My biggest worry was my pups but I also worried for the pack. They had done so much and were so happy here avoiding the war. I could not bear me being the reason their future was being threatened. 

Not sure I hope so if it looks like we are really outnumbered we can simply challenge the Alpha to a duel. He told me calmly he eyes watching mine. We will be OK Lilly trust me. 

I whined looking away But its all my fault I am the only reason a pack would come all this way to attack you. Leaning into him I shoved my nose into his thick fur breathing in his calm scent. Pine and cedar. 

Its not your fault Lilly they made the choice to do it. They could have ignored us and went on but they chose not to. DO not blame yourself for another persons actions. He reassured me as he nudged my head with his nose. Lets go your pups are probably burning down the pack by now. 

I laughed as I trotted beside him back to the den. Sadly he was not joking my pups were wild. 

Erics POV..... 

I held my head high and put on a good face for the pups as we walked into the den even though I was a mess inside. I knew the pack that was coming I knew that scent anywhere Red Lunar pack. A nasty pack led by a wolf who went by Morte, Italian for death. 

Lacey jumped into my arms her face bright with mirth as she babbled on about how she had beat all the boys in her class in a race and her own brother was slower. I was to busy trying to memorize her face as it was and listen to her excitement . The way her eyes crinkled when she smiled and that one of her eyes was more green than the other. She was beautiful and I could not guarantee she would live, and that broke my heart. 

"Whats wrong poppa?" she asked tilting her head at me. Smiling I lie "nothing darling. You are just so beautiful" I say as I set her down to chase off after her brother. I ignore the knowing look from Lilly. 

The pups had begun calling me poppa when they met me much to Lillys disagreement. Nickloas argued with her for hours about how a Luna and Alpha shared everything and even if we did not mate I was still theirs. She was still sour about that. I understood why but I agreed with the pup. While I wanted to pursue Lilly I was not sure she was ready for the relationship and would not push her. Wolves had no True Mates but when our beasts mated it was for life an no other could fill a dead mates place. 

I moved further into the den into the kitchen the smell of stew pulling me in. "You just ate a deer you really want stew?" Lilly teased me as she walked by me a yawning Marie on her hip. She was perfect. I struggled to breath for a second as I tried to straighten my thoughts. 

"You make a great stew" I simply said smiling at her as I made a small bowl. 

"But mamma makes horrible pancakes!" Marie said loudly eyes wide. I laughed at the glowing red face on Lilly. Yea she was never going to live down her Frisbee pancakes.

"Alright go to bed" she growled as she set her on her feet and pointed towards the Pups rooms.  

Walking towards me she smiled and leaned on the counter watching me eat the stew in silence. "I will trust you because I have no reason not to...." She stared my stomach instantly turning into knots. "But I want you to promise me one thing before it the battle."  Tense I nodded for her to continue. "That you will court me and eventually mate me once the danger is gone." My stomach dropped. 

"You sure" I questioned her. 

Her face going red she glared at me "Of course I'm sure! I would not asked you if I was not! Don't you patronize me!" She snarled taking a step back I nodded and quickly agreed. Her wolves eyes flashing at me behind hers, letting me see her anger in my response. 

My Luna sure was not a wolf to be reckoned with... I waited for her to settle down before I said in confidence I was not feeling "We will be ok." 

Sorry for the wait!!! First time back at collage in a while so had to set up a schedule. There will be an update every weekend from now on whether in this story or When Wolves Cry my other story that I advise you go read.... Its great.... I hope you enjoyed this and yes get feels.