Chapter~13

"When you love someone... truly love them, friend or lover, you lay your heart open to them. You give them a part of yourself that you give to no one else, and you let them inside a part of you that only they can hurt-you literally hand them the razor with a map of where to cut deepest and most painfully on your heart and soul. And when they do strike, it's crippling-like having your heart carved out. It leaves you naked and exposed, wondering what you did to make them want to hurt you so badly when all you did was love them. What is so wrong with you that no one can keep faith with you? That no one can love you? To have it happen once is bad enough... but to have it repeated? Who in their right mind would not be terrified of that?" ~ Devil May Cry by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Lilly woke to the smell of eggs and fresh strawberry's. Her belly rumbling in hunger drove her to look for the source of the smell. A small plate sat on the bed stand next to her, grabbing it she quickly scarfed it down and looked around.

The room was pale yellow and clean, smelling of disinfectant and the pack doctor. The Alpha laid spread across two large chairs a hat over his face and snoring softly. He was dressed in what looked to be several days old cloths and his beard was coming in, passed its usually five o'clock shadow. Lilly looked out the window to her left and watched the pack mill about some gardening others building one of the greenhouses they had been planing.

"Your up" The Alpha said surprise in his voice. Lilly nodded not looking him in the eyes her emotions still not settled. They sat in silence neither of them willing to break it.

Shortly after one of the nurses came in breaking the tension in the air. "Ah Luna your up." she quickly checked the Lilly's vitals and deemed her ready to go back to her den. "Luna your a Ze'ev wolf you will be healed within a day or two." she assured her when she saw the panicked look in her eyes. "Just drink a ton of water and don't run or do any exercise even shifting for three days ok."

The Alpha shadowed her on the short walk back to the den growling at any of the other pack mates who ventured to close. Closing the door behind them softly he watched as she sat down on her pile of blankets and stared off into space. "Im sorry" she whispered.

"Sorry for what?" The Alpha asked. He felt as if he should be saying that if either of them. He watched a tear go down her cheek breaking his heart, shattering it as it was followed by another.

"Not being good enough" she choked out trying desperately to hold the dam of her emotions closed. With every breath it came closer to collapse.

"Oh Lilly" He said hitting his knees and grabbing her in a big hug resting his chin on the top of her head. "Never think that again little wolf....Ever" And he held her as she sobbed in his arms till sleep took over.

"Alpha" Alex whispered his head peeking through the door the morning light shining through and into Eric and Lilly's faces. "Alpha get your giant ass out here we have a situation."

Growling low in his throat Eric glared at Alex as he adjusted to the light in the den. "Fine give me a second" turning over he gingerly disentangled his limbs from hers and covered her with a blanket.

"It better be good Alex or I'm giving you pup watch for the next week" Eric snarled at his beta ignoring his lowered eyes and slightly tilted head.

"The gamma is still gone we followed him to the U.S boarder and we lost him. We don't know where exactly he is headed but he is not coming back we can tell that." Alex explained quickly as he kept a arms length away from him and his Alpha. While he trusted his Alpha with his life he knew the last week had been emotionally draining and he was more animal than human at the moment.

"Fuck!" Eric cursed throwing his hands over his face trying to stop himself from shifting. His cloths would not handle another shift as it was and he had been reluctant to get new ones before the rest of the pack had. "Start clearing trees we need to make a wall to hold an attack off." He instructed his beta as he raced inside to get the map of the territory.

They quickly had a plan and had grouped up teams so if they were not training they were building or sleeping even the pups as old as ten were learning how to protect themselves."I failed them" Eric mumbled looking over the plans as Lilly laid sprawled over his legs her back his desk.

"No never" she argued looking at him over her shoulder. "The gamma Liam did."

"But I'm the Alpha I am in charge of everyone I put him in that position" Eric challenged back.

"But he accepted it and with it the responsibility of taking care of the packs needs and safety." she fired back refusing to let him wallow in pity and sorrow.

Growling he looked away not wanting to acknowledge her point. "Are you a pup!" Lilly snarled at him now siting up glaring at him. "No you are an Alpha...My Alpha! and by God you will act it!"

"Fine" He pouted looking at her for a second then away. She had won this argument. Huffing in frustration Lilly left the den and took a walk.

Somewhere in Wyoming.........

"I have information on an unclaimed Luna...."

"Tell me"