fourteen

The sounds of Harry's whistling filled up the void in where there should have been music or something playing. The speakers were busted so it was Lola, him, and his thoughts and he really didn't like being alone with those last two for two long. Especially since he was in the place he saw the ghost last.

He whistled harder as he grew more paranoid, organizing CDs. Every single creak or bell he expected the girl to come whooshing in, her curls framing her bony dead face and clothes flapping where muscle should have filled. And for her to come in with vengeance and anger and every emotion he felt he deserved back in London a couple of years ago.

But it was just kids looking for new albums with their Christmas cash or false alarms.

After Lola asked and failed in knowing how Harry's lonesome Christmas was, she indulged him on her own during lunch. Lunch - which was really in the store - eating behind the counter because they couldn't afford the both of them to leave the store unattended.

They each got two pizza slices from the pizzeria next door.

Harry was gulfing down his second when he asked Lola about her Christmas.

"You know, basic family shit. Where you get something from your parents that don't mean shit anymore," she said, eyeing the necklace in her hands. Harry nodded in agreement, but not really because his father hasn't given him a gift since he was 10 and his mom's gift was in London. She thought threatening not to give him a gift would get him to fly over. It didn't.

"My father tried to be sentimental this year, rather than traditional, and get me a necklace. Fucking pendejo "

Lola squeezed the gold necklace in her fist and tucked it away. He didn't know the backstory with her father and her but didn't intrude. She wasn't intruding on him so he shouldn't to her.

"You ever wonder when Christmas got so boring and non magical?"

He bit off half the crust and replied, "When we start realizing that our parents can't buy our happiness."

Lola stared at him and then laughed. Her laughter was quick and was never too hearty, "You gotta stop being so depressed and in your feelings. But you're funny, have to hand that to you." He pressed his tongue to his teeth and coughed out a laugh. As if he hadn't tried to stop being so depressed. "You know what we have to do? Smoke together sometime. I bet you're real funny when high."

"Yea I'm hilarious when I'm tripping out of my god damn mind," he mumbled but she caught it and she laughed.

The bell rang and he was too busy throwing away their plates to note who waltzed in.

"Speaking of smoke buddies, what's up Jasmine?"

He froze, half bent underneath the counter, and if he could he would just throw himself into the trash.

"Hey Lola," she spoke, his head spiraled even further at the sound of it. 

"Harry, you met Jasmine yet? She's kinda a regular, kinda a trippy buddy."

Sure he was red in the face, but he stood up to face her. He was trembling, not because he was scared of her and what she would do but what his presence would do to her. But her glazed over eyes didn't ring up any negativity.

"Hi," she greeted.

"Hi."

"Hey Harry, I'm going to take her to the back and we're going to discuss some...CD prices just keep the front in order."

He was convinced she was dead. No way she could stand in front of him without an ounce of anger in her body. Jasmine had to feel something. Something. Or was his days of guilt...all for selfish reasons? And he was trying to victimize himself.

No.

He wasn't.

She had to feel something about him and he didn't know if he wanted to find it out or leave it alone. 

i didn't think that people were actually reading this :') so thank u but anyway since I'm done w college apps i can get back to this

i just have to remember what i originally thought up of for this story lol

oh and check out the playlist i made for this story (i posted it in an earlier chapter)