one

His clock read 9 pm when he heard bangs come from the dusty apartment next door. He was curious, as curious as anyone would be living here for a year and not one person wanted to live next door to him. It was shabby, had a shitty view, things needed replacing half of the time, and the heat didn't work. You needed heat, especially around this time of the year. Why anyone wanted to move in there beat him. The tenant showed him the apartment before his current one and he declined.

Now he was here living in 201, with a new neighbor. He remembered when he was younger and new people moved in his old neighborhood his mom sent him over with a pie. If they had kids he had to play nice and offer them things like his chalk or his bike. It made him loathe them even more than he had already for replacing the empty houses he loved to explore because he discovered the fake side of them already.

They were polite and nice, took his toys because he offered but Harry knew they didn't want him around. He could see it in their smiles or in the way they looked back at the house wondering when their mom would call dinner so he could leave.

So he thought better than to welcome his new neighbor to the 'neighborhood'. For all he knew they could slam the door in his face once he gave them a welcoming gift. People in New York weren't as nice as he'd thought upon moving here.

He crushed some buds to put in a bowl and grabbed his lighter. He lit up, inhaling the rich smoke in his lungs. He coughed, the smoke pushed out of his lungs as his eyes watered red already.

Maybe tomorrow he'd see the new neighbor. He wondered if it was going to be another Uriel, his current neighbor. Uriel was a greasy McDonalds worker who sometimes offered Harry extra bags of fries. Only if he was feeling generous and sleepy did he ever offer them. Most of the time he didn't. He'd just pass Harry's apartment door without a second glance on his way back from work. They didn't talk much nor know much about each other but this building was fairly quiet. Uriel and Harry respected each other enough not to make unnecessary noise at random hours. Harry rarely brought girls over and Uriel didn't have enough shine to sustain a girl's interest to take her back to these apartments.

Harry hoped the new neighbor would catch onto that rule pretty quickly. Whoever was moving in there probably had little to make noise with. The rent was cheap and the apartment's appearance was even cheaper. Unless they were throwing parties for money every week, he doubted there'd be much to complain about. Or if they were insanely gorgeous. What attractive person would live down here? These were the slums in Brooklyn that people came to that had nothing to offer the world. Not looks, not talent, not money.

Which was why Harry resided right here, in apartment 201. It's not like he hadn't the things to offer the world, girls definitely have been interested and he had dreams. Harry just didn't want to pursue them. He didn't want to use his talent or let anyone know of his talent. He just wanted to stay here in 201, watching television screens when he couldn't sleep and get high. What else was better than this?

________________

either this is going to be very short or very long, i can't tell yet. please comment and vote though if you liked it! It keeps me motivated for new chapters :)))