two

"Are you eating?"

"Yes mom."

"Are you washing your hair? I'm worried Harry, I haven't seen you in a year! When are you going to come and see us?"

"I'm," he started, locking his door and then continued, "a little busy. You know this time of the month, everyone wants sweets 'n' stuff. I'll visit when Angie gives me a break, which will probably be in a year." He scoffed.

"Here, let me talk to the woman!"

"Mom you're not talking to my boss. Listen, I have to go to work now we'll talk later."

"Okay, bye. Love you!"

He mumbled the affection back, looking at 202 the entire time. No noise.

Compared to the streets that was impossible. New York was alive day and night; the city that never sleeps is what they call it. Yet it had to, everything gets tired and everything had an end. One day New York would sleep and he wanted to be around to see the peace for once.

Rather than this mania of shoving through people just to catch a subway before it left. He was already late by ten minutes he didn't want to get fired by being an hour late.

Harry fucking hated tourists. And slow people. He was once a tourists, looking at the big world of New York like a child. All he ever did was look up at the intimidating black buildings and peeping sky. Ads of every kind filled the streets, shoving hunger, beauty, and power in everyone's face every second. It sickened him so now he looked at his feet. The cracks in the side walk, people lining the streets with nothing on their feet and cans in their hands, signs stuck from being walked over.

Harry bursts through the doors of Martha's Bread, grabbing the apron and tied it around his waist and neck. He went to the back to rid his hands of New York germs and attend the next customer on the second cash register.

He did everything he could to ignore the pointed woman's face next to him. When he saw her nose come into view he knew to turn. Her nose was the biggest part of her face, pointy and long like a bird's beak. He could only imagine the names she got called in high school. He wondered if she ever considered a nose job and maybe this business was saving up for that. Maybe that's why he was never fired.

Angie closed the register once finished with her customer while Harry was grabbing a muffin for the pot-bellied cop.

"That'll be $3.40."

"$3 for a damn muffin?" the cop grunted. He fished a couple of green out of his pocket and slapped it on the counter. "You're lucky you guys are so finger-licking good."

Harry politely smiled just incase this guy decided random drug checks on people that were assholes to him, "Have a good day."

When the cop walked out the door making the bell on the top jingle, Harry shut his eyes. He expected the worst from Angie, always. He expected bird screeches and cawing and the flapping of her ugly feathered wings but Angie was silent today.

She only cleaned up the counter behind her while Harry peeled off the plastic gloves and dumped them.

"Sorry for being late today."

"No no, it's expected by now."

"I promise I'll try to come in earlier."

Angie rolled her black eyes. "Sure you will."

____________

sorry it's short, again. comment and vote for longer chapters please :))