Chapter Forty-One: Don't Encourage Her

"Gracie, she's crying again."

I groaned, scooping her up into my arms and walking into the living room. Sherlock sat in his chair on his phone.

"Can't you tell what's wrong with her?" I asked.

"She's hungry." he deduced, not looking up.

"How do you know?"

"She has a specific cry when she's hungry. It's more high pitched and considerably more annoying. "

"Don't talk about your child like that."

"She says the same thing about my violin. In intelligible shrieks of course, but still the same concept."

"She's a baby." I pointed out, rolling my eyes. "Alright, um...I need to make a bottle, I need you to hold her." He looked up at me.

"I don't think-"

"I think you'll be fine, Sherlock." I gently transferred her to his arms, walking into the kitchen.

~~~Sherlock~~~

Grace went to the kitchen, and I sat stiffly in my chair, looking down at the baby in my arms. After a second, she stopped crying, looking up at me with bright eyes. Grace's eyes, to be exact. I relaxed slightly, leaning into my chair. She started gurgling and even let out a slight giggle. Her hair was like mine, black and curly.  I lifted one hand, touching the top of her head. It was soft. I heard a cough and looked up. Grace was leaning against the door frame, watching me, a faint smile on her face.

"You're perfect together." She said. She crossed over, sitting on the arm of my chair and handing me the bottle. I moved it to her mouth and she started drinking. "Her hair will be insane once it grows." She pointed out, stroking the top of Lucy's head. "Wonder where she got that." She moved her hand to my head, playing with it between her fingers. She leaned down, pressing her lips to the top of my head.  I pulled the now empty bottle out of Lucy's mouth and she yawned. "Do you want me to take her to bed?" I shook my head.

"No. I've got her." I stood up, crossing into the nursery and placing her in the crib. She was asleep almost instantly, and I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist. I placed a hand over hers.

~~~Grace~~~

There was a flash of white light and I squinted.

"Did that come out? They never come out when I take them." Mrs. Hudson cooed.

"Let's have a look." Molly took the camera from her. "Have another go."

We stood in John and Mary's house, Molly and Mrs. Hudson snapping pictures of the Watsons while Sherlock, Lucy, and I stood behind them. Sherlock was on his phone.

"Molly, Mrs. H, Grace, we would love for all of you to be God parents."

"I was about to ask the same thing." I threw in. "With the addition of Greg of course."  I threw in.

"Really?" Molly asked.

"That's so lovely." John went over to Sherlock and I took his place beside Mary on the couch.

"She's beautiful." I told her.

"So is Lucy."

"Her and Sherlock have already started having flipping arguments, she can't even talk yet." She laughed.

"It doesn't surprise me." 

~~~

"Father we ask that you send your blessings on this water and sanctify it for our use, this day. In Christ's name. Now what name have you given your daughter?" Rosie's Christening. All that really needs to be said, don't you think?

"Rosamond Mary."

"Rosamond?" Sherlock asked his phone.

"Means 'Rose of the World'. Rosie for short." Molly explained from beside him. "Didn't you get John's text. I leaned over him, Lucy in my arms.

"He deletes any text that begins with 'Hi' 'Hello' or any sort of greeting known to man."  I whispered.

"No idea why people think your incapable of human emotion." Mrs. Hudson cleared her throat.

"Sorry." Molly whispered. I elbowed Sherlock. He looked up and I nodded at his phone. He placed his hands behind his back, and I swear I could still hear him typing.

"And now Godparents. Are you ready to help the parents of this child in their duties as Christian parents?"

"We are." Three voices said. I elbowed Sherlock in the ribs and he jumped.

"Sorry, I didn't catch that. Please repeat the question." I reached behind him, grabbing his phone and pocketing it.

"He does." I answered, shooting him a look.

~~~
"As ever Watson, you see but do not observe. To you, the world has remained an impenetrable mystery whereas to me it is an open book. Hard Logic or Romantic Whimsy, that is your choice. You fail to connect actions to their consequences, now for the last time: If you want to keep the rattle, do not throw the rattle." He handed it back to the baby, only to be hit square in the face with the rattle again. I chuckled.

"That's Mary Watson's child without a doubt."

"My thoughts exactly." He gave the baby a childish glare, which caused her to giggle profusely, also triggering Lucy to laugh.

"Don't encourage her." He scolded the other infant. I peered over to see John and Marry, Mary's feet in his lap, and the both of them fast asleep. I went to the bedroom, grabbing a blanket and placing it over them both.

"Why aren't you as tired as  they are?" Sherlock questioned.

"Experience. This isn't my first child." He paused for a moment.

"I traveled the world with you for two years. Once you've dealt with a baby on an airplane, let alone about twenty of them, you can endure just about anything." He scowled and I ruffled his hair.