Chapter Thirty-One:The End

"I think we can show John..." Sherlock said. "But I'll need your help." 

        "Does this plan involve you sneaking out of a hospital and possibly endangering your life?"

        "Inevitably. Are you in?" 

        "Well..." I sighed. "I can't let you do it alone, now can I? Oh, the burdens of being your wife." i said, smiling. 

        "You love it." 

        "Naturally."

~~~

        We stood in the house, waiting for Mary to show up. John came in.

        "What the heck are you two doing?"

        'We have to show you something. Please, don't ask questions just do as we ask and sit here quietly. He sat in the wheelchair. We popped his collar and mussed up his hair and we waited. We had set the man from the drug den out there to help her. His name is apparently Bill Wiggens. Sherlock finished his phone call with Mary and she entered. I stood behind John, in the dark. Mary entered and saw us.

        'What do you want, Sherlock?" John could hear Sherlock's words, but I could not. "You were very slow." She took a gun from her coat and cocked it. "How badly do you want to find out?" She threw a coin in the air and shot it. It landed in front of us, a perfect hole in the center. That's when Sherlock hung up and appeared behind her.

        "May I see?"

        "A dummy? I suppose that was a fairly obvious trick."

        'And yet, over a distance of six feet, you couldn't manage to make a kill shot. Enough to hospitalize me, not enough to kill me."

        "Like you said, I knew Grace would never forgive me if I killed her husband."

        "I'll take the case."

        "What case?" She asked.

        'Yours. Why didn't you come to me in the first place?"

        'Because John can't ever know that I lied to him. It would break him, and I would lose him forever and Sherlock, I will never let that happen." 

        "So you shot my husband?" i spoke up. She turned around and the lights came on.

        "Sorry." Sherlock told her. "Not that obvious a trick." John stood and combed down his hair. "Now talk, and sort it out, and do it quickly.'

~~~

        "Oh dear...it's only two o'clock! It's been Christmas day for at least a week now. How can it only be two o'clock? I'm in agony." Mycroft moaned as I helped Mrs. Holmes set up. 

        "Mikey, is this your laptop?"

        "Upon which depends the security of the free world, yes, And you've got potatoes on it."

        "Don't talk to your mother like that! And besides, if you don't want potatoes on it, don't leave it on the table." I told him. 

        "Thank you, dear! I think you'll make a fine Holmes mother, Grace."

        'Thank you." I told her. 

        "Why are we doing this? We never do this!" 

        "We are here because Sherlock is home from the hospital and we are all very happy." 

        "Am I happy too? I haven't checked." I slapped Mycroft in the back of the head and sat on Sherlock's lap. 

"Sherlock, control your wife."