Chapter Thirteen: Greg and The Shirt

I woke up early the next morning. Sherlock was still asleep next to me. I looked at him. His hair was as untidy as could be, black curls sticking out every which way. 

        "Stop staring, it's rude." He mumbled. I pushed him.

        "Shut up." I tried to get up, but Sherlock stopped me. 

        "You are aware that it's four in the morning, correct?" I looked at the clock. It was indeed. I sighed, flopping back down. I shivered, pulling the blankets around me. I moved closer to Sherlock, trying to get warm. I found Sherlock's arm and draped it over me. "I am not a blanket." 

        "At this moment, as far as I'm concerned, yes you are." He laid there, tense and uncomfortable. "Good night Sherlock." He slowly relaxed as he started to fall back asleep. 

~~~

        When I woke up, he was gone. I quickly got up, slipping on one of his shirts, a pair of jeans,and my jacket. I walked to the Church to see Sherlock following John around, no doubt trying to make up with him. I walked over to them. 

        "So you two made up then." John said. 

        "What makes you say that?" I asked. 

        "Come on. It doesn't take bloody Sherlock Holmes to see that you're wearing his shirt." He kept walking.

        "Last night, John something happened to me, something I've never really experienced before."

        "I knew, Fear, you said it." Sherlock grabbed his arm and turned him back.

        "No, it was doubt. I felt doubt. Always been able to trust my senses, the evidence of my own eyes. Until last night."

        "You can't actually believe you saw some kind of monster."

        "No I can't believe that. But I did see it. So the question is, how? How?"

        "Yes, yeah, right, good. So you got something to go on then? Good luck with that." 

        "This is what I said before John, I meant it. I don't have friends. I've just got one." 

        "Right." 

        "John! You are amazing, you are fantastic!" Sherlock chased after him, shouting compliments. I caught up with them.

        "So what have I done that's so bloody stimulating?"  Sherlock showed him his note pad with the word Hound written on it. "So?"

        "What if it's not a word, but individual letters?"

        "An acronym?" I asked.

        "I have no idea...What the heck are you doing here?" I followed Sherlock into the pub to see my brother. 

        "Hello to you too. I'm on a holiday, if you'd believe."

        "No, I don't believe." 

        "Greg?" I asked. I hugged him. He looked down at me. 

        "Who's shirt is that?" 

        "Mine." I lied. 

        "No it isn't. That's a men's shirt."

        "This was Mycroft isn't it? Oh, one mention of Baskerville he sounds down my handler to spy on me incognito. Is that why your calling yourself Greg?" 

        "That's his name." John told him. Sherlock turned to me.

        "Is it?" I nodded.

        "Yes, you never bothered to find out. Look, I'm not your handler. I don't just do what your brother tells me."

        'Actually, you could be just who we want." John said, looking at us. 

        "Why?"

        'Well I've not been idle. I found something. I didn't think it was relevant, but now it's starting to look like it." He pulled a receipt out of his pocket. "That's an awful lot of meat for a vegetarian restaurant." 

        "Excellent."

        'Nice scary inspector from Scotland yard, who can put in a few calls might be very handy."

~~~

        We stood in the corner, watching as Greg talked to the restaurant owners. Sherlock walked over to us and handed us both a cup of coffee. 

        "What's this?" John asked. 

        "Coffee, I've made coffee." We took it and I took a sip. The amount of sugar in the coffee was ghastly, but I drank it anyway.

                 "It's me. It was me. I'm sorry, Gary. I couldn't help it. I had a bacon sandwich at Carol's wedding and one thing just led to another." I grave Sherlock a look that said 'How stupid does this guy think we are'. He smirked at me.

        "Nice try." Greg told him.

        'Look, we were trying to give things a bit of a boost. You know, a great big dog running wild up in the moore. It was heaven sent. It was like us having our own loch ness monster." 

        'Where do you keep it?"

        'There's an old mine shaft, it's not too far. It was all right there."

        "Was?" Sherlock inquired.

        "We couldn't control the bloody thing. It was vicious. And then, a month ago Billy took him to the vet and, you know."

        'It's dead?"

        "Put down."

        'Yeah. No choice. So it's over."

        'It was just a joke, you know." Gary said. I stepped up.

        'Yeah, that's hilarious, driving a poor man out of his mind. Ha,ha, real side splitter that one." I snapped. We left. 

        "So you believe in them having the dog destroyed?" Greg asked.

        "No reason not to."

        'Well, hopefully there's no harm done. Not quite sure what to charge them with anyway. I'll have a word with the local force." Sherlock gave me a look. Before I could register what was going on, he put his hands on my face, kissed me, and walked away, hands in his pockets. Greg stood, mouth open wide. 

        "What was that?" Greg asked. 

        "That would be...Sherlock Holmes and your little sister." John answered, following Sherlock. Greg just looked at me. 

        "Love you, got to go, bye!"

        "When you get back, I'll kill the both of ya!" He yelled. I ran to catch up to Sherlock, punching him in the arm."

        "What is wrong with you?! Why would you do that?!"

        "How were you supposed to explain that you were wearing my shirt? He would have found out anyway." I punched his arm again and again. 'Would you stop that?!"

        "No! You deserve it!" I punched him again and walked around the car and getting into the driver's seat. 

        "That dog wasn't what you saw, was it?" John asked.

        "No. It had burning red eyes... It's whole body was glowing. I've got a theory but I need to get back into Baskerville to test it."