Chapter Twenty-Three: Skip Code

Sherlock went to go see everyone else, and I headed back to the flat. I shut the door and threw my bag down. I started sobbing uncontrollably. I think my relationship is over and I don't know what to do about it...I think I have to break up with Sherlock. But not yet. I'll give him some time to finish the terrorist case. He can't have an distractions. I wiped my eyes, and headed to bed.

~~~

        I lie awake as Sherlock came in and laid down.

        "I know you're awake." I turned and looked at him. It was dark, so he couldn't see that I'd been crying. 

        "What time is it?"

        "Around one." I nodded, turning back around. "What's the matter?"

        "What do you mean?" 

        "I can still see you, Gracie." I sighed, tears welling up in my eyes again.

        "I...I...I don't think I can see you anymore." I told him, the tears escaping and falling down my face. He remained silent. "I...I'm sorry. Sherlock, I'm so sorry-"

        "Then don't leave. If your sorry, then stay."

        "I don't think I can." I told him. He stood up.

        "I knew it. Oh, I knew it all along. This relationship was one sided."

        "What?" I asked. 

        "It was a simple deduction. I love you a heck of a lot more then you love me. It's simple-"

        "Stop it! You know that's not true-"

        "You wouldn't believing if it wasn't!" 

        "Sherlock-"

        "It wasn't hard to figure out, Grace! Ever since Russia things have been different! You figure oh, 'Sherlock messed up worse, so I can drop the act'-"

        "STOP!" I screamed. Tears rushed down my face. He did stop, entering the living room. I got up and grabbed my still packed suitcase. He was standing in front of the window, playing the violin. I left, walking down the stairs and shutting the door to 221B. Then, I just started running. I ran and ran until I couldn't run any more. I was in an ally. I slid down the wall, sobbing and sobbing. I couldn't breathe. It started to rain.

        "Grace?" I looked up to see none other then Greg. "Grace, what's wrong." I stood up and hugged him tightly, crying into his coat. He hugged me back. There we stood, hugging in the rain. I shivered. "Come on. I'm taking you to Baker street." I shook my head, looking at him. He put two and two together. "Oh Grace..." I just started sobbing again. He picked up my suitcase and led me to his car.

~~~

~~~Sherlock~~~
        "You wanted to see me?" Molly asked, entering the flat the next morning.

        'Yes. Molly..."

        "Yes?"

        "Would you like to...would you like to solve crimes-"

        "Have dinner?" We stood there awkwardly.

~~~

        "Fancy some chips?"

        "What?" Molly asked.

        "I know a fantastic chip shop just of Marylebone road, the owner always gives me extra portions."

        "Did you get him off a murder charge?"

        "No, helped him put up some shelves." I said sarcastically.

        "Sherlock?"

        'Hmm?"

        "What was today about?" I said nothing. "I know you said I'm not being Grace or John, but...I don't think that's entirely true, is it?" I ran my fingers through my hair and sighed. "I'm a very good listener."

        "I've lost her Molly. I'm afraid I've lost both of them and I...I don't know what to do."  

        "Talking to her would be a start." 

        "I wouldn't know what to say." I said. 

        "Sometimes...Women don't want you to say anything. Sometimes, they just want you to shut up and listen. Don't say anything, don't make deductions, just...listen." 

~~~Grace~~~

        I opened my eyes. I couldn't move. I could see sticks and leaves. I struggled to regain my voice. Someone laid beside me...I think it was John. I tried to scream for help but couldn't, and that's when I passed out.

~~~Sherlock~~~

        "Save souls now! John or James Watson. Gail or Grace Lestrade. Saint or sinner? James or John? The more is less." 

        "At first I thought it was just a bible thing, you know spam, but it's not, it's a skip code." Mary told me.  How does she know what a skip code is?

             "First word, then every third. 'Save John Watson, Grace Lestrade..." Saint James the less. I dropped my chips and rushed down the stairs.

        "Where are we going?"

        "Saint James the Less. It's a church." I told her. "Twenty minutes by car, did you drive here?"

        "Yes." We stood in the middle of the road.

        'It's too slow, it's too slow."

        "Sherlock, what are we waiting for?"

        "This." I stopped the motorcycle by standing in front of it, arm outstretched.

~~~

        We zoomed through, me calculating how to minimize travel time.

        "Getting warmer Mr. Holmes, you have about ten minutes." The text said.

        'What does it mean!? What are they gonna do to them?"

        'I don't know!" I said.

~~~Grace~~~

        I could hear voices. I tried to scream again, but nothing came out.

        "H...help..." John groaned. There was liquid being dumped on us...gas. I started to scream louder, but not loud enough. Suddenly it got very bright and very hot, very fast. Now my voice found me and I screamed. I looked at John, but he was gone. Suddenly I was being dragged across the grass.

        "Grace? Grace?" His voice sounded far away, but it was Sherlock none-the-less. 

        "Sher...Sher..."

        "Shh...it's alright." He brushed my hair out of my face.

        "I...I'm...I'm sorry..." I mumbled.

        "Shh..."

~~~
        I sat in the ambulance, a hideous orange shock blanket around my shoulders. Sherlock approached me.  

        "I made a huge mistake." I told him. "I,,, I should've just told you...I should've just talked to you about it, I'm so, so sorry." He leaned down and kissed my forehead. 

        "I'm sorry too."

~~~
        Sherlock and I walked through the street, soaking wet from the rain.

        "My suitcase is at Greg's." he said nothing. He hadn't talked to me since we left the church. We walked up to the flat and I shut the door. "I get if you're mad at me, I get that, but talk to me, at least." I begged. He looked up at me. "Please-" He grabbed my face and kissed me, hard. He pushed me up against the door. He moved his hands to my waist. I tugged at his hair."I'm sorry." I mumbled against his mouth.

        "Me too."