Chapter Eight: The Jet and The Passcode

I stepped onto the jet, looking at all of the dead passengers.

        "The Coventry conundrum. What do you think of my solution?" Mycroft asked, stepping into the light. "The flight of the dead."

        "Place blows up mid air, mission accomplished for the terrorists, hundreds of casualties, but nobody dies."

        "Neat, don't you think? You have been stumbling around the fringes of this one for ages. Or were you too either bored or infatuated to notice the pattern."

        "Infatuated?" I asked.

        "Grace Lestrade."

        "How's the plane going to fly? Of course. Unmanned aircraft. hardly new."

        "It doesn't fly. It will never fly. This entire project is canceled. The terrorist cells have been informed that we know about the bomb. We can't fool them now. We've lost everything. One fragment, of one email, and months and years of planning finished."

        "Your MOD man." I realized.

        'That's all it takes. One lonely naive man desperate to show off, and a woman clever enough to make him feel special."

        'You need to screen your defense people more carefully."

        'I'm not talking about the MOD man Sherlock, i am talking about you! A damsel in distress. I thought Grace Lestrade would be enough to keep you from becoming too attached to Miss Adler."

        'Don't be absurd."

        "Absurd? How long did it take you to decipher that e-mail for her? Was it the full minute or were you really eager to impress?"

        "I think it was less then five seconds." I turned to see Irene and Grace standing there.

        "I drove you into her path. I'm sorry. I even tried to distract you."

        "Mr. Holmes I think we need to talk."

        "So do I. There are a number of aspects I'm still not quite clear on-" I started.

        "Not you Junior. You're done now. THere's more. Loads more. On this phone I've got secrets, and pictures, and scandals that could topple your whole world. You have no idea how much havoc I can cause, and exactly one way to stop me. Unless you want to tell your masters that your biggest security leak is your own little brother."

~~~

        We sat in a room. Irene talked to Mycroft and I sat with Grace.

        "Did you know?" I asked.

        "No, I didn't know Mycroft used me as your distraction if that's what you mean. Not everyone has an alterior motive to be around you, believe it or not." She snapped.

        "Ok, I am sorry."

        "Is that what you think of me? I'm just another one of your brother's pawns? If that's what you see then you're more of an idiot then I thought." She was upset. 

        "Sherlock, Dear, tell him what you found when you x-rayed my camera phone." Irene called.

        "There are four additional units wired inside the casing. I suspected any acid or a small amount of explosives. Any attempt to open the case will burn the hard drive."

        'Explosive. It's more me."

        "There had to be a pass-code. I'm afraid to say that we have people who can extract it from you."

        'Mycroft, she's not stupid. There will be two pass-codes. One to unlock the phone and one to set off the explosives." Grace told him. "Even under duress, you can't have any idea which one you've been given."

        "She's quite good. I can see why you like her so much."

        "We destroy this then. No one has the information." MYcroft said.

        'She will have prepared for that. There's information on that phone that ensures the life of hundreds of people. They will be killed if the information is destroyed." She added. 

        "Thank you, Gracie. Us girls have to stick together, you know."

        "I do not know, because in order to stick together, I would have to have the slightest morsel of respect for you, which I do not." I looked at her. She was clearly angry. 

        "Oh, Jim Moriarty sends his love." She told us. Gracie and I made eye contact.

        "Yes, he's been in touch. Seems desperate for my attention, which I'm sure can be arranged."

        'I had all this stuff and never knew what to do with it. Thank God for the consultant criminal. Gave me a lot of advice about how to play with the Holmes boys. But of course, You already knew how to do that, didn't you Gracie?"

~~~Grace~~~

        I stood up and walked over to her.

        "Look, Irene, I am not playing with anyone. Unlike you, I get to know people for reasons, other then blackmail or torment. Do not call me Gracie, for it is not my name. And for the record..." I leaned down to her ear. "We both know what that pass-code is."

        "How long have you know?"

        "I knew since I saw the phone. It's rather obvious." I looked at Sherlock. I knew he knew too. "Now, if you'll excuse me." I walked out.